Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here on mx6.com and I've been reading various threads. It sounds like a number of people are interest in doing the Supra taillight conversion. I've had them done and thought I'd share the pic with you guys.

I had the taillights done as well as the third brake light. If you all need any info about the conversion, just ask and I can give you detailed explanations. Take it easy...

·
Registered
173 Posts
those look tight man! where do you get them? is it just a simple switch out? and how much did it cost to do the transition?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Those lights look really nice, but jesus christ, someone rip off that spoiler on the bottom one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey, I just ordered the supra tail light and but dont' even know how much labor it's goin to cost and how long would it tak. Can you please tell me man. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i have seen this guy on here with a blue 6 with a shogun kit and tons of stuff with the supra lights on his ride ask around on here to find out his web site it looks sweet

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HOW TO & COST of Supra tail conversion

How to & costs to do a Supra taillight conversion on the 93-up MX6:

Parts:
  • $200-$300, 97-98 Supra taillight assemblies complete with sockets and wiring harnesses (brand new from Toyota dealer)
  • $200-$250, 97 Supra clear third break light with harness (brand new from dealer)
Body work cost:
$350 at "Civic Center Autobody & Paint" in South San Diego, CA.
Includes: all body modifications, paint and lifetime warranty on custom work
How to:
Remove MX6 factory taillights and fit the Supras. The bottom edge almost fit perfect onto the MX6. Since the Supras are flat on the face and not curved at the outer ends, the rear quarter panels need to be molded to fit the Supras shape. This is done by tack welding sheet metal to both quarter panels to better fit the Supras. This cannot be done to perfection without fiberglass and bondo. Fiberglass and bondo will smooth out the surface on the quarter panels. The deck lid will also need to be modified. The decklid will need to be extended down to meet the top edge of the Supra lights. Once again this is done by tack welding sheet metal (for strength) to the deck lid and fiberglass/bondo work for smoothness. The middle section of the decklid will need to be trimmed and shaved to configure the contour of the Supra lights. Cutting into the walls of the trunk (inside) is neccessary because of the depth of the Supra lights. Once the cutting and shaping is done, the lights can be bolted in by using a custom bracket mount inside the trunk to secure the lights from the rear and a screw can secure each light from the top. The bottom edge of the Supra lights fit nicely with no modification needed. Once the lights are secure, it holds like factory equipment.
The third brake light requires cutting of the deck lid. The bolt mounts on the third brake light are used to secure it into the deck lid of the MX6. Not too much modification needed here. Just cut to fit and bolt down.

Wiring of the Supra lights are simple! The third brake light can be connected directly onto the wires for the third brake light of the MX6. (using butt connectors or male/female connectors) The Supra tails have four bulbs just as the MX6 does. For my car, they cut off the Mazda taillight harness and directly inserted the Mazda wires into the Toyota Supra harness. This is the cleanest way to go but splicing is another way (but not recommended). When wiring, just make sure the corresponding Mazda wires go to the proper bulb fitting on the Supras, i.e. signal to signal, two brakes/parking lights to the brakes/parking lights and reverse light to reverse.

There is a hole in the passenger side Supra taillight for the trunk keyhole of a Supra. A rubber stopper was used to plug the hole tight and it can only be removed if the stopper is ripped out. The stopper does the job and it blends in with the color of the Supra taillight housing.

Lastly, PAINT...you'll need to remove the taillights and mask the third brake light (if not remnoving). When it's all done, it looks like factory and they look awesome!

·
Registered
283 Posts
i love those lights can u tell me how to do it or where and how much

·
Registered
216 Posts
an u also send me where to get the lights from

·
Registered
283 Posts
yo i visited the thread thats where i got the pic from how do u do those lights the supra ones in the back, its so hot

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
what about euro clears from a supra for the mx6, but what we need is to call APC(check it out on the bulk buy for the euro clears) and get them to make the euro clears for the 2gen 6

·
Registered
216 Posts
Im with him ,, if enough people keep buging them then maybe just maybe they will make clears for our cars!!!! and that would eliminate the extra 350.00 for custom supra lights!!
but then again them supra lights are pretty tight!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I doubt APC will make clear for the mx6. They don't even have clear tails for the Supra and from what I heard, they won't be manufacturing them any time soon. The thing about Supra tails is that most people like them the way they are. The have the circle, projector like lights already and that's what APC does...civics, integs, eclipses....the APC housing usually have that euro look with red lenses inside with chrome insides. YOU CAN CONTACT http://www.clearcorners.com BECAUSE THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT PROTOTYPING CLEAR TAILS FOR THE 6! They also do have clear tails for the Supra which APC does not.
P.S. I'll try to get back peoples requests later.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The only thing about clear corners is that you have to send in your lights for a couple weeks for them to modify it. And they charge you tons of money. From my understanding APC will make you a set of new tailights and charge about the same price. Clearcorners prices are too expensive, considering that honda owners can buy brand new lights for the same price that clearcorners charges to modify your existing lights.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts