Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: So recently my 89 626 gt has been having power surges. It's a mtx. When driving the lights dim, the fan comes on when they dim and the idle goes just below 1k, to about 800. It happens in different frequencies; sometimes every 10-15 seconds, other times it's about every 30 seconds. Then when I turn the car off it doesn't want to restart unless I get a boost from my other vehicle. I've checked the voltage of the battery, and it drops from 12 volts to 8 during these surges. The battery is a 12 volt.
Anyone have any suggestions on what to do/check for?
Thanks, any help is greatly needed and appreciated :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The lights probably dim when your fan comes on because there isn't enough power for all accesories. Might be a stuffed battery, or alternator not charging the battery properly.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Either that, or a bad short somewhere..

But I would agree with the battery or Alternator... my money is on the alternator..

John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I talked to a friend today who is a mechanic at the local Mercedes dealership and as soon as I described the symptoms he said "Alternator". Would you guys recommend a dealership or a general parts store?

EDIT: I was looking on AdvanceAutoparts.com and I found a list of alternators for my 626. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=11&searchfor=Alternator&ptset=A Does it matter which one I get?
Thanks for all the help guys :) I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll get the car working by the weekend and continue to learn to drive stick :)

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
So long as it meets or exceeds the specifications, it will be ok..
A remanufactured unit would be the cheapest and best option..

John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Well, strange twist here. I went to Costco and got a new battery that was the same size as recommended in my factory workshop because the old one in the car looked a little small. I put it in and it started up fine... :) I guess I'll wait until tonight and check the lights dimming.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Your alternator will need checking... if it is faulty, the new battery will go flat, and you will be back in the same situation..

John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. So how do I check it...? Take it into the shop?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
You need a multimeter, set to DC volts... put it across the battery with the engine off..

if the battery is fully charged, you will get 13.2 volts... but probably a bit less..

Start the engine, and this should rise to 14.4 or there abouts....

Now a warning.. if the alternator rectifier is shot, it could output AC volts... if this happens, everything electronic on your car could potentially be fried.. stereo, ECU, etc

test it ASAP.. or take it to an auto electrician.. most will test it for free..

John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dad has one of those, we've done the electrical work in our house and it's saved our lives many times over. I'll head on outside and do it as soon as I finish cooking dinner.

·
Registered
678 Posts
i had the same problem on my 626lx -84
it was the rectifier.

if you connect a multimeter between the negative post on the battery and the negative battery cable you will be able to meesure a current leaking.
If you then unplug your alternator and do the same test you will probably read 0A.

i changed my alternator today (bought one that was checked and working and it was cheaper then buying a new rectifier) and it solved my problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts