Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody-

My car has a little bit over 78,000 miles on it right now....and I realize it is overdue for a new timing belt, but do not want to fork out the money to fix it until I really feel like I need to.....I was just wondering:

At what mileage did your timing belt break? Or at what mileage did you choose to replace it?

Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Timing Belt

You better change you timing belt soon or you might have problems later on in the future. I changed mine just before 100 000 km (ie 60 000miles)(I think).

If you don't change your belt you may scure up something in your engine and then you will have real problems after. So take my advice change your belt soon its worth the money. :eek:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Timing belts are supposed to be made to last until 105,000 miles. If it does break you won't ahrm anything in teh engine since the V6 has what is known as a non-interferrence engine, ie: nothing impacts with the piston when the timing belt breaks. That said change your damn belt soon. It's not a good idea to wait for your belt to break to change it as it will always happen when you least want it to.:) Also when you change the belt it would be a good idea to change the water pump at the same time. They have a tendency of going out between 70-90,000 miles. Since you are already in teis range it is a good time to do all the associated work all at once.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did the timing belt on my car last week. I have 110000 k.m.'s

I also did the water pump, all belts and the front and rear valve gaskets. Don't know if you have checked your spark plug wells, but a common problem with the v6 is for the valve gasket to wear out and then the spark plug wells fill with oil. This will cause premature failure of your ignition cables. The cables are 135 for NGK's so it is not cheap.

Here is what it cost:

4 hours labour at 50 for timing belt and water pump 200
2 hours labour for front and rear valve cover gaskets 100.

The parts for all of the belts on the car, the water pump and the gaskets and seals was about 550.

With tax, all in it was 1000 dollars.

Just the timing belt is about 330 including labour.

Note the water pump is 180 dollars but it does not include the pulley which is another 30 dollars.

This should be all that my car requires up until about 210,000.

Note the valve cover gasket problem is pretty much fixed in 95-97. Its mainly the 93 and 94's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts