Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I still have a problem with my steering. I took my car to a reasonable auto shop to get a quote on fixing my car. First my symptoms, for those of you that don't know. My steering wheel feels a bit loose, and the drivers side front wheel clicks on slow, tight turns.

The mechanic says that my rack and pinion is a bit loose, but nothing dangerous, and my front strut bearing is the reason for my clicking while turning the wheel. That doesnt quite make sense to me... but I have never really worked on the suspension.

The auto shop quoted me 1500 dollars for parts and labor of replacing the rack and pinion and replacing the struts on my car.

That is WAY out of my price range right now, so I have moved on and desided that I am going to have to do this myself. I dont even know if this is even posible for me to do. I have all the tools I need, and a Hanyes Manual. That is if my friend let me use his stuff. Otherwise I will have to rent some things. I don't see anything on replacing the rack and pinion in the manual. The only thing I see is how to replace the steering gear. I am hoping that is the same thing.

So if anyone that reads this could tell me how to replace a rack in pinion on a 2nd Gen LS or what page to refer to on the Haynes manual, then I will shower you will karma.

I dont think that the click noise would come from the strut bearing. If this is possible then please tell me. Or if you have any other suggestions I would be so glad to read it.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Underconstruction
1,050 Posts
that is a bunch of bullshit. the click is your axle. driver side just prys right out and passenger side is just a few bolts. nothing hard i promise. the looseness in the steering wheel could be tie rods but i aint sure. this is just a better start

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stoney0024 said:
that is a bunch of bull[shizzle]. the click is your axle. driver side just prys right out and passenger side is just a few bolts. nothing hard i promise. the looseness in the steering wheel could be tie rods but i aint sure. this is just a better start
Are you talking about the cv boot? I thought it was the cv joint too, but I had it replaced 11 months ago, the sound never left... so I just figured it was normal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Clicking could defenately be a strut bearing.

Oh, and the driver's side axle pries out as well. Remove axle nut, pry inner cv off of inner axle.

If you haven't done a lot of work on cars I would not attempt replacing the steering rack on your own. It will turn into a nightmare and you will probably end up without a car for at least a week.

Reactions: JWest672

·
Underconstruction
1,050 Posts
Brandon002 said:
Clicking could defenately be a strut bearing.
he said when he turn tho. i dont think that would cause the strut bearing to pop, but i aint sure.

i meant CV Joint.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well, my driverside was doing the same thing. Try this out, get in your car with it started and turn the steering wheel to the left all the way then back to straight and if it pops then your strut bearing is causing the clicking noise. If it doesnt click, its probably your cv joint.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
stoney0024 said:
he said when he turn tho. i dont think that would cause the strut bearing to pop, but i aint sure.

i meant CV Joint.
Yes it can, and a cv joint doesn't go bad unless foreign material gets in there. If the CV boots are good then that isn't his problem is it? A bad strut mount bearing can cause the spring to bind and pop etc.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, I am really learning what the problem is. I didnt even know that the stut turned with thte wheel :shrug: . But is mease so much sence!!!
I thin k there is a combunation of a cv joint and the stut bearing. My vc boot is not ripped... but the noise is still made while holding the wheeel stationary (on a turn ) and moving forward. So part of my clicking is solved.... now I just have to see if the parts were faulty and just sealed up in the boot, or if there is something else that can cause this sound.

Thanks a whole bunch, you all get karma
Jake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts