Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was switching out my summer tires this weekend and noticed something funny on the passenger front suspension. When I raised the car, the tire came off the ground, but the suspension wasn't totally extended, ie if I pressed down on the tire while the tire was in the air, the suspension would extend some more, but then when I released the tire, it would come back up a couple of inches.

It seems to me that something is binding and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Wouln't that be caused by the swaybar? The swaybar is trying to keep your car level, and you have jacked up one side, so the sway bar is lifting your jacked-up wheel. Admittedly, I haven't seen this before. Maybe you have recently istalled a stiffer swaybar, or shorter springs?

(If you jacked up the whole front of the car, and not just one wheel, my explanation above wouldn't make any sense, and it must be something else.)

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Maybe your ball joint is seized in place so it won't twist to allow the LCA to move down.

I don't think it's the swaybar as the stock front swaybar is pathetic and will flex pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I agree that something must be seized...I thought it might have to do with the axle, but the ball joint would make more sense. Also, the last 2 days or so, at times it seems like I have an alignment problem and the car pulls to the right, but then after some time or maybe some bumps in the road, it seems to be tracking straight ahead.

Is this a symptom of having a bad ball joint/control arm?

·
Registered
493 Posts
sounds like it could be control arm bushings or the ball joint popping around. try taking a close look at them. maybe the ball joint pinch bolt is loose :shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll pull the wheel off on Friday and take a look...thanks all!

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally opened things up, and it turns out that the control arm pivot bolt at the rear was binding the control arm in place against the bushing that's there...and yeah, I know it's a 3 year old thread. I like posting solutions to problems that I haven't seen before for future searching purposes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts