Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my struts today after work. When i push down on them, they don't bounce a lot. After 1 bounce it settles. But they are very easy to push down. Is there anyway to "harden" these. I would like to replace the struts at some point, but money is sort of an issue right now.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
i think i once tried to get my aas struts reconditioned, recharged or whatever and couldnt find a shop who wanted to do it.

how much are you looking to spend?

you can get non adjustable struts for less than 80 each

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got a set of KYB GR2's for $190 (brand spankin' new with no shipping charge) off ebay. They are not great performance pieces, but are a bit stiffer than stock.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Guy2626c said:
I was checking my struts today after work. When i push down on them, they don't bounce a lot.
Hey Guy2626c;
From what you described, your struts don't seem all that bad.

New ones are not too expensive, providing you're able to do the installation. (Borrow a spring compressor) Another alternative would be to go to the salvage yards and find a 1st Gen MX6, 626, or Probe with struts that have been replaced. A bargain as they usually throw in the springs with the deal.

Also check the For Sale/Wanted Forum for members selling used aftermarket performance suspension parts, if you want that "hard ride" feeling.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i was trying to help the feeling like i'm "driving a boat". The car has WAY too much roll in turns. I was looking for ways to stiffen it up. I mean since i don't have a turbo, i wanted to help it corner better to use all the power i can.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Larger, solid anti-sway bars! Or if that's too much money try to find a PGT in a yard and yank those. I think the PGT's got a slightly thicker rear bar than the MX-6 GT's. Then find a '90+ MX-6 GT and grab the rear strut tower bar & lower subframe tie bar. Pick up some Addco polyurethane swaybar endlinks and then you should be pretty happy for not too much money.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
2Rusty said:
Larger, solid anti-sway bars! Or if that's too much money try to find a PGT in a yard and yank those. I think the PGT's got a slightly thicker rear bar than the MX-6 GT's. Then find a '90+ MX-6 GT and grab the rear strut tower bar & lower subframe tie bar. Pick up some Addco polyurethane swaybar endlinks and then you should be pretty happy for not too much money.
Right. too many people think the roll stiffness comes from the sprigns alone, go out and get some stiff-ass springs and shock with stock swaybars and bushings.

I think Urethane even said that 185performance has a few extra Whiteline sway bars lying around for $110 a piece or so. definitely go this route first and you might find that the stock setup is still very good.

Oh and don't forget polyurethane swaybar mounts (what attahces it to the car body).

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok sounds like a good start. I was getting pushed around the turns, it would slide insted of turning.... fun but not that safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts