Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard stories that "once you go synthetic, you can never go back" to regular oil? is this true? what conseqences are there from switching? thx.

SolarSlash

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
MIKE???

i have read it depend on the number of miles you have on the car. and if you change to Syn. it might cause the oil to leak then. somebody will be able to tell you better than i. later

MIKE

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
SolarSlash said:
ive heard stories that "once you go synthetic, you can never go back" to regular oil? is this true? what conseqences are there from switching? thx.

SolarSlash
From a lubrication and component cooling standpoint, there's no reason you can't switch from dino to synth and back, or even mix a quart of dino into a sump of synth if you find the level low on the stick. Dino-oil isn't as good an oil as synth, but the two are not incompatible.

In the early days of synths, it was widely theorized that oil seals in the engine were being affected by the synth, having a tendency to shrink slightly due to the slightly different chemical makeup of the base stock the synth was made from. This minor shrinkage tended to pull the seals away from the part to be sealed (crank seal, valve stem seal etc), resulting in a low-grade leak. In fact, I remember back in the 70s stories of adding a quart of automatic transmission fluid to the sump of a car recently switched to synth and subsequently leaking: the AT fluid had/has additives that actually cause rubber seals to swell slightly, closing off the leaks. Fun stuff.

Over the years, synth formulations have changed to provide better seal behavior: to be sure, a bottle of Mobil 1 made in the last two decades is not going to adversely affect the engine seals.

Additionally, dino oil, having a lower-quality base stock, tended to leave varnish and sludges behind as volatiles flashed out. These coatings may have covered internal engine parts, providing, ironically, additional sealing qualities. If a dino-oil engine is then run on synth, the detergents in the synth may actually clean some of the varnish and other deposits away (albeit slowly, and the synth itself doesn't tend to add any deposits of its own), which may lead to "leaks".

So, no, I don't think the old axiom is true. But know that any dino oil isn't going to match the performance of synth oil.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I know M1 is the best other kinds of Syn oils are good to use. i have 167000 on mine and thought about syn oil as well. do you think it is cool for me to change over or not. i read what you said it seems fine to me.

i am leaking a little oil anyway, it show up under the (facing the car) right side of the car, do youknow what the problem would be from that info. thanks later

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting....

thx mike.

im wondering about the seals starting to leak theory. every since i got the oil changed to synthetic, my oil pump is in need of replacing. hmmmm.....by the way, my 6 has 55k on it.

SolarSlash

1 - 5 of 5 Posts