Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got a 1996 Mx-6 and I want to put a system in it but have nooo clue what to put in. I am way new to this and all I want is for my car to go boom. It doesnt have to be anything fancy cuz I'm not going into competition, but it has to be affordable. I'm just a girl that loves her music. Sooo, please help and let me know what I should put in it.
Thanx, Laura

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, welcome to the boards. Now as far as making your car go boom you're going to need a few things...

Decent aftermarket head unit - Poineer is your best bet for this, when you buy one (if you havent already) make sure you have a set of outputs on it.

Aftermarket Speakers - All 4 of your speakers will be 5x7's...or you could buy 6x8's...not 6x9's tho.

Now to make it "go boom"

First, you need subs and a good box.

Since it seems that you want it loud with a lot of bass go for s 12'' subwoofers. I really recommend Audiobahn subs...they are decently priced and hit very hard. You can get Audiobahn 1200X subwoofers for about 99$ a piece. www.carmedia1.com
You will need a small enclosure for these woofers..if you go to www.sounddomain.com you can select the woofer and then it will give you the option of finding the best possible box size for it.

To power these mammoths you're going to need a pretty powerful amp. look for at least a 500x2 channel amp. Then you will need an amp wiring kit. 10 or 12 gauge depending on how many watts your amp is gonna be.

This is all gonna cost you about $$$1000....if you think this is too much then you could always go down to a circuit city or Best Buy (yay best buy!) and get the 2 for 1 deals they always have going on. Anyways best of luck...if u have anymore questions u can message me on aim or e-mail me or Im sure there are som other people here that might be able to help you otu a little more.

Aim - KrzyKrackr
E-mail - [email protected]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmm if you want something affordable, go with Pioneer.. they are good subs for the price you're paying for them. I have two 12" IMPP's and they work great for half the price of a JL w3 or alpine type r.. buy those if you have lots of money to play with. For my 6x9 speakers.. I'll be lookin at pioneer and infinity($$$) when I get some money back. And if you want to go boom boom, I suggest you power one sub to your subs and another amp to your speakers. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi there.
If you are new to this game, then having someone make suggestions about their fav brand is fine but you do well to start off getting clued up by saying having a look at a few car audio mags as a starting point and maybe also having a look at a few car audio forums.

This way you will get a better idea of some of the terminology being used to describe some of the audio components.

I am not one for talking about brands because in all honesty most of the stuff out there these days is fairly good. Although some people do have bad experiences with some things by and large I tend to say LOOK first, then LISTEN then think about it.

In the first instance you need to set yourself a realistic budget then divide that budget so that you can afford the things that you need first.

1st replacement radio/cd/tape player.
2nd, replacement front speakers.
3rd, maybe replacement rear speakers.
4th, consider a bass box with a sub bass speaker.
5th, an amp for that bass box and speaker.
6th, an amp for the front speakers, or a 4 channel amp that can handle number 5 and 6 together.

If yo get this far and have a bass box, under NO circumstances should you waste you money buying flashy rear speakers and DO NOT put an amp on the rear speakers. If you must have rear speakers they should ALWAYS be powered by the new radio/cd/tape player unit.

For a breakdown of all of this and a basic set-up guide have a look at the following link www.efmax.co.uk/soundoff.htm this is a basic starting point to working your way towards a good sound in your car.

Please try not to be seduced into buying this or that brand because of anything other than the fact that you personally like the way it looks, the price, and its overall performance.

Good luck..

For extreme and an outrageous MX6 audio set-up take a peek at www.efmax.co.uk/amg_mx6.htm

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey, I'm looking at getting a Pioneer DEH-P4300, it is new for the year 2001, just wondering if anyone has one or knows a few things about it? Looks good to me, I'll be adding 5 1/4's and 6 1/2's in the car to play with it prolly, not exactly sure yet and later on getting an amp and two 12" subs. Just wondering if this sounds good for my mx6, thanks for your help.
Chris.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Car Audio

Well, you're talking my former life, not really, but i spent way too much in car audio awhile back when i should have been putting it into other things, had 4 JL Audio 12w6's in a box crammed into my trunk and they were being powered by 2 Orion 2150's bridged down to 1.5 ohms, they were cookin.

I recommend JL 12's, JL can handle their peak limit and then some, their sound range is awesome, and they don't require a lot of air space.

The first reply to your message, in my opinion (which everybody is entitled to, so don't take offense whoever posted it), Audiobahn isn't as good as he says, they are a good brand, but you get what you pay for, and from my experience Audiobahn can't handle their peak limit for too long, my friend found out the hard way, poof. Second off, you'll need a larger wire then 12 or 10 gauge, got 8 gauge to 4 gauge, if you think you'll be upgrading in the future and becoming a bassmonkey go 4 gauge.

Pioneer head units are good, very user friendly. I've also heard good things about JVC head units, lots of options, and a trade up feature, let's you trade in your model for the next years model when it comes out, and all you have to pay is the difference, can't beat that.

I agree with the other guys about upgrading your mids range speakers and amping them up, it'll probably be what you want to get done 2nd after the headunit.

Plus, you can always go with 1 12 in a trick box, i'm planning on doing that in the future, i'm pretty much done with hitting 150 db, i don't need to mess up my ears any more then they already might be.

Well that's my advice. As i meantioned before about what i had in my trunk, i've been selling it, i have 2 12w6 JL's left, retail 289.00 a peice, i used them for 1 month if that, they've been collecting dust for the last 5-6 months in their boxes, they're as good as new, i've also got all the wires from my car and an optima battery. I need to make rent, so if anybodies interested, i'm only asking 400 bucks for it all, and i can explain more if you email me, thanks.

Mark ([email protected])

1 - 6 of 6 Posts