Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have any information on what kind of power the T-Bird turbo upgrade actually makes. DYNO numbers anyone?????

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I don't have dyno numbers yet... I have track numbers though..

I went from a best trap of 75mph in the 1/8th to a best trap of 77.8. Same boost on both turbos. I'm still running stock exhaust :D

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
1/8th mile track... albeit it's done in a parking lot, times are pathetic at this track.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
91 boosting by said:
where exactly do you live to be getting such low trap speeds?
He lives in CA, so sea level.

If you take a look at jbruns dyno, you will see that going anything over 16 psi the t-bird is inefficient. http://www.probetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1701051920
It goes to about a 1hp/per 1psi increase which is terrible. Going from 7 psi to 11 psi on the other hand, you gain about 40 hp and gobs of torque.

Jbrun pretty much maxed out the tbird with 200 whp. I would be surprised to see anything much higher. I know adamturbo got 211 though. You're basically stuck around 225whp at best.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I think most of those numbers were at around 14-16psi too. Its about the same numbers that I made but with way more torque. People put around 280ftlbs-300ftlbs down so if you get the T-bird an upgraded clutch is needed.

I dont think Adam has a T-bird, I think its slightly smaller because he made his horsepower at about 17-19psi.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
the reason the T Bird loses efficiency is because you are allowing more air IN, but using the same wheel to let it out. Julio was onto something with the Maserati wheel, which is a fraction of an inch larger than the stock wheel, same as the T Bird, same size wheel but a larger inside fin. You retain the same characteristics as the stock exhaust wheel, but with that larger inside diameter fin, you push more boost out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
or you could just clip the wheel. I think that would be a little bit easier/cheaper. Deadmeat did that on his tbird but never got it working right.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
rebel2k4 said:
Crank up the boost. I want to see something higher than 211 whp.
Not going to do that, as I want a buffer between safe and extreme. The car is plenty fast and I have no interest in finding the "limits". Only listed the facts based on my dyno run.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Thats what adamturbo put down at 15 psi.
Adam put those numbers down at 18psi, or at least thats what his sig says:confused:

Not going to do that, as I want a buffer between safe and extreme. The car is plenty fast and I have no interest in finding the "limits". Only listed the facts based on my dyno run.
Yea thats true. As long as your pleased with it. Your power curve is pretty smooth. Do you have any internal mods??

Im kinda the opposite of you, Im getting bored with my car at 14psi. I really need to up the boost. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
t3t4

theres no point to even mess with that t-bird turbo hybrid,it sucks, seems like a stock turbo to me. t3t4 is the way to go, the best i ran was 14.6 at 104 with the t-bird on 14 psi, i ran 14.0 at 99mph on 12 psi with the t3t4, the t-bird hybrid sucks! but thats my opinion !good luck!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Re: t3t4

MAZDASPEED505 said:
theres no point to even mess with that t-bird turbo hybrid,it sucks, seems like a stock turbo to me. t3t4 is the way to go, the best i ran was 14.6 at 104 with the t-bird on 14 psi, i ran 14.0 at 99mph on 12 psi with the t3t4, the t-bird hybrid sucks! but thats my opinion !good luck!
Okay, time for me to chime in...

Emisions testing in certain states require yout to have an underhood inspection. If something look lees than stock, you fail, and an external wastegate and log manifold will fail you for sure. The t-bird is all some of us got. So there IS a point to mess with it.

Besides that. Some of us want to keep a somewhat stocker, and could care less about trying for the twelves.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Re: t3t4

MAZDASPEED505 said:
And of course doing all the other upgrades to keep it safe. This could include larger injectors with stand alone engine management.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
And of course doing all the other upgrades to keep it safe. This could include larger injectors with stand alone engine management.
It depends on the psi that you want to run. Im running 14psi on a T3/T04B and all I have is a fuel pump. Ive noticed that my plugs are a slight white but they have always been like that.

On the dyno it was rich, but that was at 13psi and a rip in the TB boot.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
It depends on the psi that you want to run. Im running 14psi on a T3/T04B and all I have is a fuel pump. Ive noticed that my plugs are a slight white but they have always been like that.

On the dyno it was rich, but that was at 13psi and a rip in the TB boot.
Ok, so now your running 14 and no rip in the TB boot? It sure sounds like to me that you might not know enough about how the car is running to consider it safe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts