Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading how mx6GT91 beat an evo, and looked at his mods,
from what I can tell he basically has a good intake 2.5 turbo back exhaust and a t3/t3 with a bigger intercooler and piping, he also has a 255 fuel pump but doesnt mention bigger injectors or a chip. he has over 200 hp and close to 250 torque @13psi.

My question is what does a bigger turbo give you at the same psi? shouldnt a bigger turbo take longer to spool up? would he do better with the stock turbo? I cant tell the difference between amount of flow because I guess the pressure is all that it comes down too, I know he has a bigger intercooler so he probably get some colder air also which helps. But on his car with all the stuff he has now wouldnt he do better with the smaller turbo?

I am asking because I dont know.

I have nothing close in mods but hope to come close some day, currently all I have is a blaster coil, a custom ram intake with dryer ducting with a cone filter with heathshield. I have nothing from the cat back so on the stock system I am boosting and holding close to 9 psi. I also have a stronger clutch but that doesnt help with power.

Currently I feel safe racing most lower series bmws, any suv, most smaller cars , most vws, havnt raced any eclipses, beaten a few mustangs and would race almost any honda cept for s2000 and such, I once got beaten by a new accord v6 with what must have been some nice mods by the amount that he took me by, but he did sound great. I would be scared to race a supercar, which in my opinion are supras, 300zxs, 3000gt's, rx7s. I dont know much about american cars so I probably wouldnt bet on a race between myself and a muscle car.

My next mods are going to be zombie chip and 2.5 down pipe, in that order I think; because of money issues. I am always looking for a bigger intercooler that would fit and would like to know what others use.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
He has a jayb chip too.
I have a straight T3 and although I put down less HP, I put down a little more TQ (249 vs. 247) with less boost and a blown motor at high altitude. The T3 I got is pretty small though. It spools just as fast as stock.

One good thing about a laggy turbo is it moves your peak power more toward redline. This way you have more higher RPM power which really helps at the track.

Do you know much about dirt bikes? If you do you should know that a 125 is slower than a 250 not necessarily because it has less peak power, but rather that the 250 has a flatter power curve.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You have to realize that our tiny turbo puts out a mere 160cfm (I believe) of air.

Compare that with larger turbos which can flow 400+ cfm.

Even though they are not running as much psi on the bigger turbo, it is still flowing much more air at that psi than the stocker would ever flow at even higher pressure.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The t3 flows more air than the stock turbo, because of this the intake charge is more dense, thats why you make more power from it. Superchargers work on that principal, most superchargers (on the street at least) generate a low level of boost, say less than 10 psi, but they flow stupid amounts of air, like 900 cfm, vs the stock turbo on a GT 150 cfm. These are all ball park numbers. The more density the air has, the more power you can make from it, ever drive a car when its cold out, it has more jam to it than when it is warm out, that is because the cold air has more density.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Im not sure but I think my turbo is the smallest T3/T04B made. Its .48 on both sides. People keep asking me if its the stock turbin housing modified to fit a bigger compressor housing. I really dont know. Zombie said it was a hybrid T3/T4 with a stage 3 compressor wheel. I know the compressor wheel is stage 3 since the people that installed the turbo said it was.
ohh BTW, my turbo full spools at 4200rpms. Its slightly higher than the stockers 3000ish rpms.

My JayB chip was a moddern tune. He remapped my fuel curves slightly and got rid of boost cut. I was suppose to do a full tune but I couldnt find time to go to the shop. Im running the stock 310cc injectors, I hear that they max out at around 200whp. Thats why I plan on getting 330's. Ive seen them in the 4sale forums but no one responds to me. I have 440's but they run filthy rich. I wanted to do a 5th maybe 6th injector setup and Im sure I will.

Those number were also with a broken TB boot, it held boost fine but I heard the air leaking out the whole time. I thought it was the turbo:confused:

I did do good with that Evo8, but have any of you seen the dyno runs stock with those cars. After about 4500-5500rpms its huge downfall of power. A cat-back exhaust really helps the power go straight up.

Zombie had my turbo on his Probe and he was boosting 17-18psi. He said it was really fast but he kind blew his engine :(
Thats what I hope to boost but since my miles are gettin high I kinda dont want to. My car runs great but I wanna keep it like that.

If bigger turbos make more power why does our stocker make huge amounts of torque??? Is it the restriction, I know its just a spike of torque and then it falls but its a damn good amount of torque.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
that is the biggest misconception whit turbocharged vehicles. The turbo does not make hp, it makes torque, the hp you get from it is a mathimatical relationship to the increased torque the turbo allows you to produce.

As for why do we make huge amounts of torque, simple, that is what our engine was designed for, its a truck motor

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
Im not sure but I think my turbo is the smallest T3/T04B made. Its .48 on both sides. People keep asking me if its the stock turbin housing modified to fit a bigger compressor housing. I really dont know. Zombie said it was a hybrid T3/T4 with a stage 3 compressor wheel. I know the compressor wheel is stage 3 since the people that installed the turbo said it was.
ohh BTW, my turbo full spools at 4200rpms. Its slightly higher than the stockers 3000ish rpms.

My JayB chip was a moddern tune. He remapped my fuel curves slightly and got rid of boost cut. I was suppose to do a full tune but I couldnt find time to go to the shop. Im running the stock 310cc injectors, I hear that they max out at around 200whp. Thats why I plan on getting 330's. Ive seen them in the 4sale forums but no one responds to me. I have 440's but they run filthy rich. I wanted to do a 5th maybe 6th injector setup and Im sure I will.

Those number were also with a broken TB boot, it held boost fine but I heard the air leaking out the whole time. I thought it was the turbo:confused:

I did do good with that Evo8, but have any of you seen the dyno runs stock with those cars. After about 4500-5500rpms its huge downfall of power. A cat-back exhaust really helps the power go straight up.

Zombie had my turbo on his Probe and he was boosting 17-18psi. He said it was really fast but he kind blew his engine :(
Thats what I hope to boost but since my miles are gettin high I kinda dont want to. My car runs great but I wanna keep it like that.

If bigger turbos make more power why does our stocker make huge amounts of torque??? Is it the restriction, I know its just a spike of torque and then it falls but its a damn good amount of torque.
You have an IHI housing bored to fit a clipped .48 T3 exhaust wheel. Thats about the biggest you can fit in an IHI housing. The housing is still the small IHI though, so it can't flow as well as a bigger T3 housing. The wheel is what mainly determines flow but the housing is also important.

Dont get crazy with boost. I thought I could get by but I thought wrong, on more than one occasion.

BTW I have a set of 330's with connectors I'll let go of for cheap.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
There is a few questions here to answer, so I'll just mention a few things...

As was said a turbo makes torque... hp is simply torque x RPM. Therefore if you a high revving engine with less torque, then you can have the same hp as a lower revving engine with more torque. If you imagine that torque is how much power the engine makes in one RPM, then hp is how much power it makes in a minute.

In regards to boost pressure and flow rate (cfm)... if you have a big hose that has a certain amount of pressure, and compare it to a smaller hose with the same pressure, then you get a lot more water out of the bigger hose. Thats a real basic view at turbo's. IE, you can get just as much air from a bigger turbo at a lower pressure than from a smaller turbo at higher boost. This topic is a novel on its own, and you haven't even touched effeciency yet.

Also, it is important to mention that if you have a t3/t4 turbo, then it is a hybrid turbo that, can have many different trims, staged blades etc.... This in turn allows for many varying results from turbo's. They can range from 50hp to 550hp+, so what I'm trying to say is, not all t3/t4's are the same.

Hope this helps, if I'm wrong on anything then please correct me.

Tripharn

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Nicely said tripharn.

Turbos are truely an art.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
This is what I was told I have

.48 on turbin housing, with .48 on T3 compressor with stage 3 compressor wheel. The people that installed my turbo said that it has a T04B compressor wheel. I later found out that Zombie posted how his chip worked on "his old T3/T04B" set-up......which is what I have. So I have some kinda of oddly made turbo that seems to do pretty good??

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
It's not really an oddly made turbo. A .48 T3 wheel is about the biggest one that can be fit in the exhaust housing, and clipping it makes it flow more. The t04b compressor wheel/housing is bigger than any T3 compressor made, so it flows more air.It's just using the T3/T4 concept, but in an IHI exhaust housing so it fits.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
ahhhh, I see

I guess thats why people always ask me if its the stock turbin housing?

I guess thats why they spool up is kinda low, most T3/T04B's (I know theres a lot) seem to spool in the 4500-4800rpms

·
Registered
96 Posts
Alright this is a little off topic from the original post but how can you tell you have a ripped TB boot? Alright, also, can a car with 310cc injectors just swap in 330cc's and run fine? Or will it be too rich to pass emissions? Forget bout emissions,w ill it run good enough to drive? I have a Zombie chip installed and plan on gettin a Fuel Pump and maybe 5th injector. Then want to see what this little T-Bird hybrid can put down. I got both the VW and Saab Cold start injector. I heard the VW is good for 2 extra psi, and the Saab or like 4 psi. That true?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
The stock 330cc injectors shouldnt make the car run rich. It might run richer at stock boost setting but if its been upped somewhat it should be fine.

The rip, just take off the TB boot and check for cracks. You cant miss them unless there pretty small. Im sure if its a big problem the crack will be pretty big.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks man, what r some symptoms of a ripped boot? I think the rubber elbow from the comp housing to bypass valve is ripped also. Anyone have these for sale? How bout a relay for a blower motor?

·
Registered
387 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
This is what I was told I have

.48 on turbin housing, with .48 on T3 compressor with stage 3 compressor wheel. The people that installed my turbo said that it has a T04B compressor wheel. I later found out that Zombie posted how his chip worked on "his old T3/T04B" set-up......which is what I have. So I have some kinda of oddly made turbo that seems to do pretty good??
The turbo you have uses the stock turbine housing which is smaller than a t3 .48 a/r

It turbine wheel is a T3 stage 1

The compressor housing is a .48 a/r if I remember correctly. The compressor wheel is a t04b s3 trim compressor.

Turbo's are confusing unless you understand the numbers. People often mix up the the a/r and wheel trim numbers.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Pat Fay said:
Thanks man, what r some symptoms of a ripped boot? I think the rubber elbow from the comp housing to bypass valve is ripped also. Anyone have these for sale? How bout a relay for a blower motor?
what r some symptoms of a ripped boot?

Varies from crappy idle, slight lose of power for small rips... up to and including, severe running problems, too not running at all.

I think the rubber elbow from the comp housing to bypass valve is ripped also.

If this is ripped then it may not be your TB boot that is ripped. I would personnaly just get a mild steel pipe made up, or get another one from the wreckers. I've replaced all my intake pipes with mild steel and cost less than $70 installed, and now I don't need to worry about the damn TB boots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts