Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

A friend recently bought a gen1, 4ws turbo mx-6, and its got a problem I'm a bit concerned about. It's got crappy coolant I've been meaning to change, but I haven't due to busy working schedule.

Anyway, when its quite warm, it makes a tick tick tick, in a beat, its regulated. When you rev the car, it ticks faster. Another gen1 owner told me he had it with his, and my HLA's are just dirty.

If thats the case, what do I do to fix this problem? Has anyone else had this? Also, somewhere I read most gen1 mx6's ran rather rich standard, and this car also has that problem. What would I do/where would I go to get the mixture running a little more normal?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Hello and welcome to the MX6 experience:wave:
For the hla's, the easiest thing to do first is a filter & oil change. Don't skimp on the quality of the oil, some here use synthetic and some don't. Sometimes just this can make the difference. The HLA noise is the thing that reminds me to change the oil.
I haven't worked on the HLA's but there is a post in the project forum.

As for running rich, I don't know other than, If I'm lazy and don't chang plugs and leads regularly my 6 pops like a mofo on decelleration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i recently sold my mx6, but the ticking noise could be tappets. this car has hydrolic tappet and require oild pressure to keep them quiet so check oil and as for the richness mine was running ritch also, just leave it.... nothing to worrie about..

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
by tappets...u are actually referring to the HLA's. change the oil regularly. i recently bought a bottle of the nulon lifter cleaner. it worked for a while, but noise came back.
as for richness.. im getting mine tuned this week at ultratune for $150.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
i got the same prob, with my gen2,
its on happenes for the 1st 30sec of turning the car
on,....

i know its the tappets.........but been told not 2 worry about it
but i do wanna get it looked at soon?,

anyidea were to take it 2??

andy

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
thats completely normal michelin. if its happening ALL the time...u should be worried.
go buy nulon engine flush and get a slightly thinner oil.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
The MichelinMan, its just because as said before the HLA's require oil to run quiet...

When you first start the car up no oil around them, hence the noise.. once oil pressure builds up its fine right or am i right hehehe ;)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Another thing to possibly check is for an exhaust manifold gasket leak. Your head will usually appear blackened around this area.

I saw your post on PF and you said your bonnet above the manifold was getting quite hot, possibly an explanation?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
timtx5 said:
Another thing to possibly check is for an exhaust manifold gasket leak. Your head will usually appear blackened around this area.

I saw your post on PF and you said your bonnet above the manifold was getting quite hot, possibly an explanation?
Possibly, mine is leaking through the manifold gasket right now due to yet another broken stud on the weekend. Very similar to bad HLA noise, the blackened head is a dead give away.

As for the hot bonnet..... my bonnet above the manifold & turbo has always been hot enough to cook pancakes on. A panel beater I was talking to one day leant on my bonnet (bastard!) and said he couldn't beleive the paint hadn't burnt off it. So I think (hope) that's normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts