Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
magik8 said:

You know, there is probably a reason that Mazda went to all the trouble to put the sticker under the hood near the radiator that says to only use the original equipment, 2-stage thermostat.
Profit?

Hehe, What is the tempature rating of the OEM T-stat? I'm running a aftermarket 2-stage 180 degree one right now, but if I can get a colder one I'd like to.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Dyoel182 said:
What exactly makes it two stage? The fact that it opens and closes?
Not to get off subject but...
The two stage t-stat is actually TWO thermostats in one. There is a much smaller thermostat that opens at 85°C and the main one opens at 88°C or something close.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
"You know, there is probably a reason that Mazda went to all the trouble to put the sticker under the hood near the radiator that says to only use the original equipment, 2-stage thermostat."

Yeah there is a reason as a matter of fact! so you won't go anywhere else to get a 2 stage thermo-stat for cheaper, its called insuring future business. Right now Im using a NON-Mazda 180 degree 2 stage thermo-stat , My mechanic got it for me, all I know is that it works fine and the car dosen't run at any different temp then it did with the factory one. so I feel that people who say you shouldn't get a thermo-stat from anywhere but Mazda is full of BS and is just reading the manual, the manual also says to bring you car to Mazda for oil changes so I guess all of you guys who buy Mazda only T-stats get Mazda only Oil changes. The fact of the matter is Mazda isn't the only one who makes 2 stage thermo-stats, tonns of places do and for alot cheaper than mazda. If the thermo-stat is a 190 or lower degree and is a 2 stage then it dosn't matter if it comes from a volvo delearship or from china, its still a 190 degree 2 stage t-stat. So You guys who say you should only buy your T-stat from Mazda must think there is somthing magical about their 2stage thermo-stat.:rolleyes:
lol, yeah..don't use any 2-stage thermo-stat other than Mazda's because if you use a 2stage t-stat from lest say "car quest" you will ruin your engine or problems will hapen because its not a Mazda 2stage. I mean do you guys really believe that, if you do then your just giving Mazda what they want which is being tricked into thinking Mazda's 2 stage t-stat is the only one that can be used. Its a load of bull the only reason they say that is to make sure that people don't go and just use a single stage t-stat and to ensure them future business.
Now mabey my TB boot may not last 15 years but it will last for at least 5 years at which time I only have to pay $10 to make a new one, instead of paying $50 for a new one after 10 years.
Anyway I don't care if you guys think the home-depo boot (which might I point out you have never saw it) works well or not, all that matters is that "I" Know it works just as good as stock and "I" know I can replace it for a cheap $10. My TB boot holds on at 15psi's no problem Its all about the kind of clamp you use and peparing the mating surface.

"nothing home-depo goes on my car" Wow good for you, you have money to waste "bows down" I think I'll pay my $10 and use the other $40 that I save for gas.

Methman

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
magik8 said:
Mazda went to all the trouble to put the sticker under the hood near the radiator that says to only use the original equipment, 2-stage thermostat.
Mine doesn't say "original equipment". It just says, "Use a two-stage type thermostat, which has the same specs as one used in this engine or the engine malfunction may occur."

Methman said:
so you won't go anywhere else to get a 2 stage thermo-stat for cheaper, its called insuring future business.
The way I read it, they don't much worry where you get it, just that it's the proper one.

Methman said:
Right now Im using a NON-Mazda 180 degree 2 stage thermo-stat , My mechanic got it for me, all I know is that it works fine
Good boy! Doing just what the sticker says!

Methman said:
people who say you shouldn't get a thermo-stat from anywhere but Mazda is (sic) full of BS and is (sic) just reading the manual
Not sure anyone said that, but if they did, I would endorse that. I think there are better places to cut corners than a thermostat, especially for an engine that devours head gaskets, especially for an engine with dissimilar metals for block and head. Penny wise, pound foolish, etc.

And I'm a big fan of "just reading the manual". I think everyone should do that.

Methman said:
manual also says to bring you car to Mazda for oil changes
I can't find that in my manual. What page is that on?

Methman said:
I guess all of you guys who buy Mazda only T-stats get Mazda only Oil changes
Bad guess. I take my 6 to a GM dealer, in fact.

Methman said:
guys who say you should only buy your T-stat from Mazda must think there is somthing magical about their 2stage thermo-stat
I think Mazda's quality control is better than Walmart's. You're entitled to your opinion. I once saved $4 on a thermostat and cooked a 12A engine. False economy. Chacun à son goût.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
bilingual

No sign of "OEM", no sign of "Mazda".

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Bah, you're right, Sleepcounter. I would personally order the part from the dealer anyhow. I believe that's probably the part number at the upper right.

I suppose if you can get a 2-stage one, that's the primary goal. I haven't personally seen an aftermarket 2-stage unit though. I was under the impression that 99% of aftermarket thermostats were the regular-old-212 single stage units. :shrug: Looks like that impression might be incorrect.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The mazda OEM thermostat has two valves on it, a larger one and a small one, so it opens more gradually. The first valve, called the "Sub valve" starts to open at about 85 C (185 F), and the second valve, called the "main valve" starts to open at about 88 C (190 F) . It says that at 100C (212 F), both valves are fully opened. It also says to make sure the "jiggle pin" is at the top when installing the thermostat.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
2 stage T-stat

magik8 said:
The mazda OEM thermostat has two valves on it,The first valve, called the "Sub valve" starts to open at about 85 C (185 F), and the second valve, called the "main valve" starts to open at about 88 C (190 F) .
It says that at 100C (212 F), both valves are fully opened.

Magik's done his research well, and if you think about it some, Mazda's warning probably does hold water. Thermostats are a mechanical device of sorts and eventually will fail.
In my opinion, incorporating the 2nd valve, assures that the T-stat should have a fail-proof mode in case it doesn't open upon reaching operating temp.
If a single stage style was stuck closed, use your imagination as to what may result inside the block without open flow to the rad ! Yep......you're cookin' the guts out of your "6"s motor.
A few extra bucks for the recommended T-stat could save you the expense of a head gasket and motor damage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I refused to pay Ford the $40Cdn or Mazda the $25Cdn they quoted me for a t'stat. I've got a single-stage fail-safe replacement ie: if it fails it automatically opens to prevent overheating, but I've always had problems with the car running too cold, not too hot.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: 2 stage T-stat

johniebgoode said:
Magik's done his research well, and if you think about it some, Mazda's warning probably does hold water. Thermostats are a mechanical device of sorts and eventually will fail.
In my opinion, incorporating the 2nd valve, assures that the T-stat should have a fail-proof mode in case it doesn't open upon reaching operating temp.
If a single stage style was stuck closed, use your imagination as to what may result inside the block without open flow to the rad ! Yep......you're cookin' the guts out of your "6"s motor.
A few extra bucks for the recommended T-stat could save you the expense of a head gasket and motor damage.
Any T-stat wether its a 2-stage or a single stage cheap or expensive, will stick OPEN when it fails..I mean come on I don't think the designers would be that stupid.
And good Im glad you pointed out that the sticker does not say to buy the part from Mazda, that was all I was trying to say, is that the people who say you should ONLY buy your replacement T-stat from MAZDA are full of BS, you can buy a replacement T-Stat from all sorts of aftermarket places for $7-$10 that work just fine as opposed to paying $40 for the same thing from Mazda. So thank you sleepcounter for proving my point for me.

"Good boy! Doing just what the sticker says!"

No, actually I was doing the logical thing, which was to Not pay Mazda $40 for a mesily T-stat (are you confused as to who I was making this argument to sleepcounter? because this T-stat argument was directed towards magik8, because he dissagerd with me when I said that it was dumb to only buy your T-stat from Mazda, which is when he posted that reply

Quote:
Originally posted by magik8
Mazda went to all the trouble to put the sticker under the hood near the radiator that says to only use the original equipment, 2-stage thermostat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And my reply was directed towards him stating how you can buy a replacement T-stat from anywhere's but Mazda for way cheaper and it will do the same job. Its just that the way you broke down my post, you made it seem like you thought that I was the one who stated the quote above.

"Not sure anyone said that, but if they did, I would endorse that. I think there are better places to cut corners than a thermostat, especially for an engine that devours head gaskets, especially for an engine with dissimilar metals for block and head. Penny wise, pound foolish, etc.

And I'm a big fan of "just reading the manual". I think everyone should do that"
End Quote

Its been said before mabey not in this post but its been said many times, and I was just simply stating that it was dumb to think that. why? because its a damn T-stat as long as it can open at 180 degrees and close at anything below that, and will stick open when it fails it shouldn't matter where you get it or how much you pay. IMHO, if you pay more than $15 for a T-stat then your a fool and thats the kind of customers Mazda wants. Its not cutting corners its getting the same part for a way cheaper price because its not comming from a big name delearship. I mean How many of you really believe that A $40 mazda T-stat is going to work any different or better than a $12 T-stat of the same design? Not me, I have a 2-stage T-stat from an aftermarket source (NOT MAZDA) and it sure as hell didn't cost me $40 (it costed me $10) and it works just the same as the OEM t-stat did, only difference is the price. Most parts at Mazda are not expensive because of their quality they're expensive because its comming from Mazda and they know some people (like some of you guys) will be gullable enough to believe that parts like a T-stat should only be bought from them, therefor they know they can get away with a $40 price tag.

"I can't find that in my manual. What page is that on?"
End quote

keep reading, its in the manual in the oil change section, mabey Im not remembering correctly..mabey it said in order to keep your warrantee valid you must bring the car to Mazda for oil changes.

"Bad guess. I take my 6 to a GM dealer, in fact. "
End Quote

Again Not directed towards you, was it you that said you should only go to Mazda for a replacement T-stat? No. It was magik8.
And ok but you still go to a dealership for an oil change, thats just as bad as going to Mazda for an oil change or going to Mazda to buy a $40 t-stat.

"I think Mazda's quality control is better than Walmart's. You're entitled to your opinion. I once saved $4 on a thermostat and cooked a 12A engine. False economy. Chacun à son goût."
End Quote

Your excatly right..I too think Mazda's quility control is Better than Wal-mart's, thats why I don't buy my parts from Wal-Mart, I mean I and other people can use common sense when buying a replacement T-stat. Going to Mazda and paying $40 for a T-stat is not using common sense and neither is going to Wal-Mart, however going to a well knowen afterarket dealer and paying $10-$12 for a replacement T-stat is using common sense. Understand what im saying.
How did the T-stat ruin your 12A anyway...Im just courious, it seems to me that all T-stats are designed to stick open when they fail.

Methman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Re: 2 stage T-stat

Methman said:
it seems to me that all T-stats are designed to stick open when they fail.
A thermostat, fail safe or not, can fail in either direction. Remember that antifreeze is corrosive, and the thermostat is a mechanical part. The spring could get stuck and the thermostat would be stuck shut.

This is how I lost my first head.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Another point to remember is that NEITHER Mazda or Walmart make their own thermostats. they're built be some oem supplier or aftermarket company that stamps various names on them. The aftermarket 2-stage thermostat that you buy from Pep Boys (or wherever) may well have come out of the same plant as the mazda unit.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Well I'm not going to argue with Methman about this any longer. It's clear that he has problems with buying anything from the dealer, be it a TB boot, thermostat, plug wires, or whatever, so I'm not even going to waste the energy arguing. I personally don't buy every single thing for my car from the dealer buy I try to when it comes to certain critical components (like a TB boot, plug wires, and 2-stage thermostat.)

I still have yet to see a 2 stage thermostat that didn't come from the dealer. What company makes the aftermarket one?

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
Methman said:
the manual also says to bring you car to Mazda for oil changes
Methman said:
mabey Im not remembering correctly ..mabey it said in order to keep your warrantee valid
Translation: yer making it up. Ya sure it didn't say "failure to keep Cheetos in the centre console will void warranty"?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I've read that about the Cheetos, but thats for 88/89. Storage for the 90/91 MUST be in door pockets. Next time Search .

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
penny wise, etc

brucerap said:
Another point to remember is that NEITHER Mazda or Walmart make their own thermostats. they're built be some oem supplier or aftermarket company that stamps various names on them. The aftermarket 2-stage thermostat that you buy from Pep Boys (or wherever) may well have come out of the same plant as the mazda unit.
When the manufacturer tests them, the ones that meet the Mazda spec go to Mazda, the ones that fail the Mazda spec go to Walmart. Same plant, different quality.

It's less expensive to make a less precise component. For an item as important as this, I'll pay the extra few bucks to know it was built and tested to a higher standard.

Do you buy your tires at Walmart? Your oil at Canadian Tire?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.