Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is everybody fixated on the "tbird" turbo? what's so great about it? surely there are other turbos out there that we could put in our cars that is twice the power of the tbird.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's simple. It's the best upgrade at a minimal cost. Keep your turbo set-up and bolt on the balanced compressor wheel and the compressor housing(no balancing needed) and you have an upgraded turbo. The gains are very nice and you can sometimes do it very cheap. Any turbo will go on our car, but it depends on how much modification you want to do.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I dunno about "huge jump from stock"... it's not THAT big.

The point is that it's a BOLT-ON hybrid. No custom flange required.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
fasturbo626 said:
why is everybody fixated on the "tbird" turbo? what's so great about it? surely there are other turbos out there that we could put in our cars that is twice the power of the tbird.
This is the part where I chime in with "Those of us in california and some other states can't go crazy with our turbos because of emissions laws. State law dictates that all the hardware under the hood must be stock or have a state exemption number to be smog legal."

Going with a t3 and external wastegate is nowhere near stock, and would get us in troubkle should a smog tech see it. Don't matter if we have zero emissions out the tail pipe.

The t-birds all some of us can do. But besides that, it's all most of us need on our daily drivers, and It's a good compromise between hp and streetability.

G

·
fasturbo626 said:
i heard that any mitsubishi turbo can be bolted on, is that true?
No, not even close.

Take a look at this flange and tell me if it would fit your stock o2 sensor housing.

Also, look at the difference in manifold flanges, and my crappy adaptor :D

This is a Mitshibushi/Volvo 15G.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FlySwat said:
No, not even close.

Take a look at this flange and tell me if it would fit your stock o2 sensor housing.

Also, look at the difference in manifold flanges, and my crappy adaptor :D

This is a Mitshibushi/Volvo 15G.
whoa, that doesn't look very pretty at all

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
beauty in the eye of the beholder

fasturbo626 said:
whoa, that doesn't look very pretty at all
Show us your welding.

I think it was intended for performance, not appearance.

'Swat ain't that much of decal-type guy.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Hot Rod Mex hit the nail on the head, you can do a T Bird hybrid for relatively cheap and won't get nailed by the authorities. I have sold 5 T-Bird compressor housings and wheels to members over the past few months, only a matter of time before they get them installed. You should start noticing threads like "wow great improvement over the stocker" or something similar, provided they actually get them installed and not let them sit in the closet or under the bed

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Well, here's a comparison for you guys..

With the stock [email protected], my best 1/8th mile trap was 75 mph

With the [email protected], my new best trap is 78 mph.

The car now spins tires when I floor it in 2nd gear, it's neat :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts