Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a check engine light coming on that is really bugging me. So far it seems like it comes on at random times...at first I thought it was from my brutal shifting when I was learning stick....but now Im an allstar so that wasn't causing the problem. Then it seemed that it comes on usually when Im going a constant speed for a while...I decided that probably wasn't it...then I thought that it was coming on after a certain amount of time....again that was false...basically its coming on and going off at random times.

Is there a way to check the codes for this? as soon as I turn the car off and on the CEL turns off again, so its resetting the codes each time. Can I just the diagnostic wires while the vehicle is still running? Or am I just stuck until one day it maybe becomes a solid CEL?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've been having the same issue for a while now. From what i found out, it's an o2 sensor that *may* be on it's way out.

To get the codes, i copied Mike's instructions
Locate and open the "Diagnostic" box under the hood. It's between the battery and the fender.
The pins labelled "TEN" (which stands for "Test ENgine" by the way) and GND (ground) are the pins of interest. Make sure the ignition is OFF and use a paperclip to jumper the TEN and GND pins together.
Turn on the ignition (do not start the car) and watch the CEL. After about 4-seconds, it will begin to flash any codes that may be stored. If there are no codes stored, the CEL will not flash (it will go out.)

Malfunction codes are generally 2-digit affairs although Mazda decided to get tricky. They include 2-digit codes that involve '0' (zero) as a digit. Code 02 is one example. Code 10 is another.

The codes are broken into a 10s digit and a 1s digit. The 10s digit is flashed first, followed by the 1s digit. The digits are distinguished by the length of time they flash the CEL. 10s digits flash the CEL on for 1.2-sec while 1s digits flash the CEL for 0.4-sec. Digits that are '0' (zero) flash the CEL exactly zero times.

Once you have your codes, refer to this page for info on the codes

Also, if you have more questions about your 94 MX-6, you'll get better responses in the 2nd Gen forum.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but see the codes are reset each time i turn my engine off....so I would have to have the engine running until I got the CEL to come on.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re Codes

First of all do you have the regular Mazda Diagnostics box or the mixed one that I have that includes the Ford EEC IV connector. Is is a 4 or 6 cylinder
I hope you are not trying to test with the standard method described above if you have the bastardized version I have . I tried to draw codes for 4 years till I looked in the DLC box and saw the slots where the TENs and GRND are supposed to be are empty . Thats why 5 mechanics never got a code. See if near the battery there is the other connector that has the STI pin, sitting on the side of terminal all by itself. Unfortunately mIke PGTs site had a link to it 93-5 Probe but that site is no longer in service. Its in The haynes manual but they say you will have one of two types of connector . A lot of the 94s had both .Use a jumper wire and jump the STI to battery and you can read codes from the CEL in dash . Codes are stored unless you have 2 cycles without a problem so turning off engine and testing immediately will still have the codes in it .I found 159 MAf on mine
Good Luck

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I believe I have the same version as you.
I took my car in to my mechanic to get the codes checked for free...but he told me he couldn't pick any up. .. But then I was told that the codes don't reset when the engine is shut off like he told me... so I tried checkin them on my own....it ended up being a code 17, O2 Sensor, which is what I had figured.

Thanks for your post Mazda626ATX, you encouraged me to go and do it myself and not be a wuss:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts