Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
94LS overheating?
it started happen a month or so, the temp gauge goes pass 3/4th then comes down soon as the fan kicks on. I had the coolant flash 2 weeks ago, don't seem to help. unless you guys have other solutions, I'm thinking of replacing the thermostat. can anyone give me step-by step instructions? what tools I need? where's the thermostat located? and about how long will this take?

thanx..

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Usually you follow the upper radiator hose to the engine and you'll find the thermostat there. Check the Haynes manual though for detailed instructions though, and probably for a torque spec since everything is aluminum.

Another test is to drive the car while it's getting hot but don't let it get hot. Feel all the surfaces of the radiator with your hand to check for cool spots. If you find any, that means you have a radiator that is partially blocked.

Thermostats are usually cheap; you will probably want to go with a high quality one (probably OEM). I've gotten some bad ones from AutoZone before.

Tyson
95 LS (for sale)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check this out

Check out your water pump. Thats what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you buy a new thermostat, buy only from the dealer. The others are all crap. If you get it from the dealer you don't have to use a gasket because it's already on the thermostat. It takes about 5 min. to change this way.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 93 ls and i had the exact same problem, and when my freind looked at it he said that the breather valve on the water pump was broken, so water was spraying out really slowly. you probably need a new waterpump and that i guess is a pretty big job , i think you have to lift the motor out a couple of inches to replace it because of where it is located.

Blade mx6 93 v6

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If it is n fact the Water pump, and are looking to replace it, I would compile all of th efollowing and change them all at the same time.

-Water pump
-Water pump pulley
-Time belt
-Time belt tensioner

My mechanic changed these parts all in one shot and saved me a buncha dough. He charged me $120 for all th elabor, I supplied the parts. He didn't have to pull the engine, he just removed the pass front wheel and mud cover, then removed th etime belt cover and then he had plenty of room to maneuver.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys,
I had the timing-belt + water pump changed in 8/2000 @ 115K mi. don't seem to notice any coolant leakage. it might be a defective water pump.. I'm gonna take her in for a look this wkend. thank you all for the info..

happy holidys
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts