Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal when I've been sitting at a light for a bit or sitting in rush hour for the temperature guage to rise a little bit above half (halfway between middle and hot)?

I just started driving this car a bout 2 months ago and I have noticed this, and just wondered if it was normal for the car to do this, or if there is possibly something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's normal for cars to overheat a bit in heavy traffic but mine usually never gets much past the middle of the whole gauge. This may sound dumb but try changing the Rad fluid. It may not have been changed for a while. Check all hoses for cracks etc too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine does the same thing... not just in traffic... I've tried replacing the thermostat and the coolant and it did'nt change anything! I was thinking of putting in a 160 degree thermostat instead of the 180, but with the winters we have up here, I dont think that such a good idea...
I thought it might be the sensor that triggers the cooling fan thats worn out, like it turns the fan on too late? I dont know... I guess as long as it doesn't go all the way to H, it's ok... Next time I go to Mazda, i'll ask them. Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My car got hot until I relized that i put mostly coolant in instead of mixing it properly with water.

The coolant is thicker and won't cool down as fast as water does in the radiator. I noticed a slight decreace in the temp afterwards

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
superflymx6 said:
is anything leaking from the pass side of the engine bay.
Im pretty sure no.

Could it possibly just be the radiator going it is getting to be quite an old car now.

G

·
superflymx6 said:
is anything leaking from the pass side of the engine bay.
What would this mean? I am losing rad fluid in my 93 and I can see rad fluid on the pass side of the engine. I really need to know what is going on because its losing fluid pretty fast and NEEDS to be fixed.

I'm a REAL novice when it comes to cars but cash and a willingness to learn has brought me here. Even if I cannot do the work myself, I hope to learn enought that mechanics can't take me for everything I've got.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
steve cole said:
What would this mean? I am losing rad fluid in my 93 and I can see rad fluid on the pass side of the engine. I really need to know what is going on because its losing fluid pretty fast and NEEDS to be fixed.

I'm a REAL novice when it comes to cars but cash and a willingness to learn has brought me here. Even if I cannot do the work myself, I hope to learn enought that mechanics can't take me for everything I've got.

Thanks
Steve
Its a good indicator of a waterpump problem, though it isn't necessarily. Check the weephole at the bottom of the pump for signs of leakage. If thats the deal, replace the timing belt/waterpump/friction gear/tensioner.

Do it yourself for less than 300 bucks, or pay someone else upwards of 700. :)
-Garrett

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
steve cole said:

Thanks
Steve
timing belt/waterpump is definitely not a good first repair job for a novice mechanic. im doing my headgaskets now and i can tell that the timing belts would be a pain in the ass. i had to remove the timing belt to get the heads off. where are you located? if youre near me and wanted to come by and have me show you the process id be happy to help you out. :tup: for anybody who tries to find out about their car,whether it be so that they dont get ripped off or if they are going to fix it themselves. if youre not near me try posting in your regional forum, maybe you can get some else to show you how it works

1 - 9 of 9 Posts