Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious what is the normal temperature operation range for MX6 91 MAZDA LX Im usually a little past the half point is that Ok is it suppost to be lower then that.
The car runs fine its just from previus cars it was usually always lower then half. Tellme guys if u have the same xperience with this Or do i have to replace the thermalstat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thats odd. My LX runs quite a bit lower then center. It has always been that way. I am pretty sure that most LX's are like that. The cooling system was meant to be able to cool the GT. With the LX's the cooling system is too much. So much so that I have to put cardboard in front of the radiator in the winder. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
my dx always ran in the middle or just to the right of it.
but when i put in my new gauges i adjusted the needle to where it should be, hope i did the right thing.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Kenny, your thermostat must be stuck open. You should not have to put cardboard in it to get the heater warm. My sister had the same problem, we replaced the thermostat, ran fine (ps, but her guage was always in the middle, and still is).

Smachan, the first thing I would try is putting in a cooler thermostat. Although thermostats usually malfunction in the open position. After that, it is probably the radiator. My GT only went a hair past the middle, when I was running the hell out of it in 109F weather with the A/C on. Other than that, it was always in the middle.

There is the slight possibility that your guage is a little off, although I doubt it. Hey, when you go faster, does it seem to get a little warmer? Like maybe it does okay running 50mph or so, but when you get up to like 80mph, does it get warmer? If so, this would be the radiator. I would replace it (if you determine it is the radiator), do not try getting it flushed and all that. That is a waste of money. And if they do do damn good job, you are likely to develope leaks in the radiator anyway.

Good luck (seems funny that with this cold weather, people seem to be having cooling problems:).

Oh yeah, that is another tale tale sign of a uneffecient radiator, gets past the middle in cold weather.

·
Registered
405 Posts
no, my temp gauge is fine on the highway, it is sitting in traffic that it starts going up. but on the highway it never runs warm even with the a/c on full. what temp gauge do you recomend putting in there?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will test the car On the highway I only drove it in the city. Its when i i drive it gets little past the middle then a little more then i dile then it drops to the little past post again. Bu it never gets to the red. I will test it on the highway and see what happens it it cools down below half anyway :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey i have a mx6 GT 90 and my temp gauge is just a little bit below the middle and runs great i think that most MX6 's run a little hot and it's no big deal

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is nothing wrong with my thermostat. Its new from Mazda. The radiator is new, as is my heater core. :) I get heat with out the cardboard. I just put it there to try to keep the temp of the engine normal. I am fine with the way it works. :) Funny though, my previous car was an 1982 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel. It had head so hot that driving on the highway with the fan speed on 1,your pant legs would get so hot that it would burn if they touched your leg! I loved that car :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I test drove my car on the highway and the car temperature stayed the same little past the half point. It dosent overheat of anything so im assuming its fine :)

ithink if it reaches the red then i know i have a problem but the car seems to be running great. o i have another question is there any lights wher uadjust the heating fan or ac because atnight it pitch dark is there alight that suppost to light all that out?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The reason I told you to get on the highway & check it out was because my 85 Lincoln was running warmer than what I thought it should. I ran it like that for a while (while I was figuring out what was the matter). It would get warm idling around town with the A/C on (which is the hardest on any car), and it seemed to be happy with about 40mph driving. But you could almost watch the guage, the faster you'd go, the hotter it would get.

I had replaced the fan clutch (which doesn't apply to the MX6), thermostat, then finally I replaced the radiator. Instead of running halfway like it used to, it now runs on the N (of NORMAL), which is less than 1/4 the way.

You're probably right, it ain't getting too hot, neither was my Lincoln, it just bugged the hell out of me to see it go past the middle. It never hurt it though, sometimes it went way past the middle. Oh yeah, the radiator looked real good, that was one of the reasons I was hesitant to replace it--now I know, looks can be decieving.

It probably ain't no big deal.

Peace

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya thats what i think. The radiator looks brand new Unless it got painted LOL But i just noticed it stays a little past the middle and it dosent move at all. Even on the highway or in the city. i think ill be alright if it gets worse then i strat really worring :)

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
xLightx said:

o i have another question is there any lights wher uadjust the heating fan or ac because atnight it pitch dark is there alight that suppost to light all that out?
mine lights up the fan speed, the a/c and econ. if that is what you are referring to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ta so i guess there is alight there cause all i have lid up is the gears radio LOL I guess ill have to replace the bulb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts