Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a bad ECU, how will you know, mine all of a sudden is running on 3 or 4 cylinders, is that possible.Is there a way to check an ECU?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really don't have a clue what your issue could be, but has the check engine light turned on at all during this time? If yes, then can you get it to a parts store like Autozone or Advance Auto Parts to see if they can hook it up to a diagnostic code reader? Also, If you never have done it, at a minimum I would replace the distributor cap and rotor and plug wires. What do the plugs look like?
How about the fuel and air filters? When were they last checked/replaced? Sometimes its the easy stuff that can fix a problem. Do you have a spark tester to see if you have a cylinder or two dropping spark?
My original 93 LS has 133,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with it running except for needing to replace the Distributor at 80,000 miles. That's why I have no experience with your car's symptoms. I say that as I Knock on Wood!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drove it to ups, shut car off, thought I had ignition off but it was on, I had the alarm/radio fuse out so I put it back in and listened to radio.When I turned the key to start it up,I could tell immediately there was something wrong, and it would run but very badly , like it was running on 4 cylinders.Now I am trying to find out what is up with it and what's wrong

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't have a clue what your issue could be, but has the check engine light turned on at all during this time? If yes, then can you get it to a parts store like Autozone or Advance Auto Parts to see if they can hook it up to a diagnostic code reader? Also, If you never have done it, at a minimum I would replace the distributor cap and rotor and plug wires. What do the plugs look like?
How about the fuel and air filters? When were they last checked/replaced? Sometimes its the easy stuff that can fix a problem. Do you have a spark tester to see if you have a cylinder or two dropping spark?
My original 93 LS has 133,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with it running except for needing to replace the Distributor at 80,000 miles. That's why I have no experience with your car's symptoms. I say that as I Knock on Wood!!
I replaced the coil inside of distributor, then it ran great, but as time has gone on, it seems like it has been running rich, too much gas, and all my equipment will not work on this 1 as it's a 93,I really need to know what it could be, I just got out of Cleveland Clinic after surgery, and it is no longer over 90° here anymore ,I will check the codes later today and post this week.Thanks, all help will be much appreciated.My other mx6 is in my big garage as I'm in middle of painting it,will post results if that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts