Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Testing mtopxsecret6's BOV mod

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  shannonlujan 
#1 ·
  • I'm not here to discuss rice factor, you wanna do that start your own thread.

Testing out his venting mod. Needs several zip ties hehe. So far, the car is running rich under immediate decel (as expected). Also when cruising and letting off the throttle with clutch disengauged the RPMs tend to linger down slowly sometimes, Definitley an effect of f*cking with the vacuum.

One fear is of my valves vibrating into new positions.

Also my other major concern (also the same concern with my Brady valve mod) is the efficiency of this. I fear the valve may not be opening fully or quickly enough, potentially causing compressor surge (turbo backspin, just ask sick6 what this can do).

I think this version may be better than mine in the fact that you don't have to worry about a Brady valve getting shot off. But not as good as it tampers with sensitive vacuum that could potentially cause bad MPG or Turbo destruction.

I'm carefully listening for compressor surge after every blow off.

I'll give it a few more weeks of testing, etc.

But, as with my version of this ghetto mod, it will probably end up scrapped back to stock setup, and if you're truly in love with the "whoosh" and desire less side effects and worries, I suggest buying an aftermarket valve.

See less See more
#2 ·
i used this mod for like 6months, till i really found out that it messes up your stuff, it will make u run rich, and it took out my exhasut system, not im only running cat and pipes. also it controls how much he bypass should open, and when u mess up with the vaccum, sometimes i didnt open the valve enough, and it used to casue turbo backspin for me, when u shift on low arpms, when there isnt muchboost to blow off, which isnt good, so i took that mod off, and i boght an after market valve, and notised way to much diference, the car ran better, and i also noticed that u lose some kind of power with that venting mod. so it would not recomend it to anyone, unless u dont care about what happens to the car as long u are getting the woosh(shannon :p)

#5 ·
Ah yes, the ole GFB.

First of all those are expensive, and second of all, its just gonna remedy the rich problem. Prolly is the best aftermarket valve for our car though.

Stock bypass valve converted to blow off is a waste of time. I'll be asking permission to delete those two threads in the projects. I don't want anyone wasting their time and f*cking up their cars.

G
#6 ·
$168 for a hybrid valve that diverts enough air back into the intake to keep the car from running rich, but still sends a small amount through an air horn is expensive...and just a remedy?

Its pure brilliance.

#7 ·
$168 is not in the bottom of my couch, so yes, thats expensive.

And yes, its just a remedy.
It only sends a partial amount back to the intake which means:

• you're still gonna run rich (though not as much)

the sound will be reduced as opposed to the regular BOV type

[/list}

Brilliance would be a free MAP conversion :E

G
#8 ·
shannonlujan said:
$168 is not in the bottom of my couch, so yes, thats expensive.

And yes, its just a remedy.
It only sends a partial amount back to the intake which means:
  • you're still gonna run rich (though not as much)
  • the sound will be reduced as opposed to the regular BOV type

Brilliance would be a free MAP conversion :E
I took the liberty to fix your list there,

You will barely be running rich, and only for a second, basicly its a quick buffer to keep you from backfiring, which while not helping performance any, does not harm it.

Soundwise, the output horn is heavily flared to amplify the sound, I'm sure it competes with any other BOV...But thats not why I'd buy it.

I'd buy it because it won't leak, its constructed out of aircraft grade aluminum, is the only BOV with a ceramic seal that keeps the brass piston from hitting the aluminum housing and sending brass particles down your intake, not to mention giving it a hell of a lot longer life.

The cheap, "bottom of your couch" BOV's are modelled to look like expensive ones, but are made out of low quality materials, and will eventually start leaking, or worse end up sending a chunk of the piston into your intake.

And seriously, $168 is barely more than a TypeXS BOV is if not the same.

#9 ·
Thanks for fixing my list. You're a good man (most of the time):E

I think I can agree with everything you said for the most part.

Didn't know that about the brass/aluminum thing. Very interesting.

So I guess that is pretty cheap.

I still haven't taken the time to undo my current topsecret setup.

Although it does sound so nice when the boost is up high on cold days. :D

#10 · (Edited)
My 1G DSM bypass won't leak either, and I got it for free after I convinced my talon friend to buy a BOV. })

They don't give you a bad idle but the car will want to stall every now and then. The only reason I have it vented right now is because my intake pipe has no revision for a bypass valve vent (its a honda CAI pipe) Once I get someone to weld aluminum I'll have that done though. I hate the fact that this thing draws attention to my crap pile. Guess the blue smoke from the tailpipe plays a part as well.............

#11 ·
shannonlujan said:
Ah yes, the ole GFB.

First of all those are expensive, and second of all, its just gonna remedy the rich problem. Prolly is the best aftermarket valve for our car though.

Stock bypass valve converted to blow off is a waste of time. I'll be asking permission to delete those two threads in the projects. I don't want anyone wasting their time and f*cking up their cars.
why would you delete the Brady mod. For people running stock boost up to 12psi's the Brady mod is all you need for a blow-off valve, until you go higher. Ive been running with the Brady Valve BOV for awhile now, and Ive got to say I love the sound it makes (competes very well with the "sound" of Aftermarket BOV's), Ive never had a problem with compression surge with it, and My Vacume is just fine, reads 20 at idle and 25 under deaccelration, Ive experienced no stalling ever. the only problem Ive ever had with the Brady Valve mod is the backfiring (which is a problem with any BOV on our cars, except for the GFB one), and once the gutts of the valve blew out on me, and that was only because I had the valve adjusted improperly (not tight enough..barly closed under vacume) but drillling the holes in the valve as described in the thread will prevent that problem, or just do what I did...go and buy the 1/4" brady Valve..its non adjustable (so the thing can't unscrew on its own and lose the spring and stuff, which is why the gutts blow out of the adjustable ones) but its set just perfect to allow the boosted air to blow off, (sounds like a turbo xs BOV) and not leak one bit of vacume, not even for a second when under idle or deaccellration.
So tell me Shann. why would someone, like me, who isn't running more than 12-13psi's most of the time who can't afford a Expensive BOV right at the moment. be wasting their time by doing a FREE mod that WORKS just fine?
Now Ive never tried the venting mod, and I never plan on it, because that does fu*k with the car's vacume. A brady BOV set right will not. IMHO this brady BOV sounds and works just as good as an aftermarket BOV for boost up to 12psi's. The only downfall about it is, the amount of boost it can handle is limited to what the stock bypass can hold. thats it, other than that it works fine, and I for one was happy that the Brady mod was in the projects section it helped me get the woosh sound with no problems for almost a year now...and my turbo still works just as good as it did the day I bought the car.
So please do a favor for the people running stock boost or no higher than 12psi's who wants a BOV without spending an arm and a leg...and leave the BRady Valve mod there because ITS NOT A WASTE OF TIME for people on stock boost! And it works great. Im sure there are other people on this site who have tried the Brady Valve mod (and did it the correct way) who have had no problem with it. Ask Chris Osborne with the F2T RX-7 he is the one that came up with the Idea, and Im sure he will tell you that the Brady Valve mod is great for stock boost.
I guess what im trying to say is...Don't be so selfish, just because you didn't like the Brady mod (you must of did it wrong or you used one of the adjustable ones that can once in a while unscrew when blowing off), dosn't mean that other people like me haven't had sucess with it, and it also dosn't mean that other people shouldn't get the chance to see if they like it or not.
Oh yeah another thing...if you do use the adjustable ones and your having the problem with it blowing its gutts out, all you have to do is set it where you want it then use some crazy glue and glue the adjustment knob in place by putting a little dab of glue on the threads.
So in conclusion I believe that its not a waste of time to have your stock by-pass make a woosh sound and only hold max 12psi's, when otherwise you would still be limited to 12psi's but with no woosh sound!
methman

#14 ·
shannonlujan said:
HAHAHAHA.

I just think its so ghetto. Maybe if I can find a substitute for the friggin duct tape lol.
Funny..... when 4 months ago I pointed out how GHETTO this mod was, it started a flame war. I'm currently working on a wooden CV joint project. Should bolt straight up to my cheese wheels.

#17 ·
Yes crusty, I know this is ghetto, thats why several months before out flame war I left an update that said I didn't reccomend it.

And now both of you guys are making me close my own thread!

Sometimes I really think the newbies are smarter than some of our "smart" members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.