Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....well, I've been driving my Chicago car since just before June 2005. It has been sputtering under boost....NOT ALWAYS, but enough to annoy the HELL out of me!

....I'm a VERY busy guy...and I finally got to work on it!

Given my luck, I started with the Throttle boot inspection. It was fine!

I had SERIOUS doubts that it would be the plugs, or the plug wires. I'm NEVER that lucky!!! Until yesterday...LOL.

I STILL CAN'T believe it was THAT simple! Just by the sound of the sputtering and such, I was CONVINCED I had a leak in the plumbing (prior to the plug and cap/rotor inspection, I removed the radiator to get a GOOD look at the turbo plumbing).

I had NO LEAK anywhere, but my plugs looked crappy, and the gap was over .050" or more! I put in new plugs and properly gapped them (around .040") cleaned the cap and rotor with a wire brush.....AND IT WORKED!!!

NO MORE SPUTTERING!! I'm soooooo freakin' happy about this! I've been wanting to mess with it for about 5 months now...but I SIMPLY have not had the time....and/or my time was spent making other repairs to the MX6 or the JEEP or the Civic or other home projects!

Thanks FAQ!!!! I REALLY didn't believe it would be the spark plugs,....but they were right!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. I also got my garaged cleaned out...moving the stuff to the Storage shed!!! ......all my weekends are consumed with projects....THANK GOD that is my complaint! (could have MUCH worse problems)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...well, the problem is back.

Even with new wires, plugs, fuel filter, and proper gaps.

I'm strongly suspecting the coil now. The reason? The other day, when it was cold, I was flooring it, and it started all losing power and stuff.....badly (it was missing, it was acting like it was getting fuel/spark). It was Really cold that day.

Anyway, how likely is it that it is the ignition coil? I was thinking that since the engine was cold, it was probably running rich, and a weak coil might can't keep up--once the car warmed up, it was fine!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
um first thing is that you should never "FLOOR" a car when its cold!!! With that said.....
yes it may be your coil, but,......... did you change your cap and rotor????
Even with new wires, plugs, fuel filter, and proper gaps.........I see you did this, but If the plugs made a difference, i'd check your cap and rotor, chances are that there no good either! Be worth a shot, and with the new wires and plugs, it sure wouldn't hurt

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Shortly after I got my GT, I had a bucking problem as soon as I entered boost. It would buck real hard back and forth. It was the Blaster 2 Coil a previous owner installed with a pin sized hole in it causing the bucking. It very well could be the coil, they're cheap enough to buy and see if it cures the problem.

-Tyler

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
tyler886 said:
Shortly after I got my GT, I had a bucking problem as soon as I entered boost. It would buck real hard back and forth. It was the Blaster 2 Coil a previous owner installed with a pin sized hole in it causing the bucking. It very well could be the coil, they're cheap enough to buy and see if it cures the problem.

-Tyler
Right, but would a cap and rotor not make more sense? Thats always been a normal thing to replace when doing a tune up. I'm not saying that it might not be the coil, but concedering I have a stock coil on my mx6, that has around 300,000+km's on it and it still works fine. (and i live in canada where we get both extreme cold and hot) and everything is still a-ok! I don't have the origional cap and rotor though!!!! (those get changed yearly)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cap/rotor looked good...so I don't think I replaced them...but I might just go ahead.

But the 1991 MX6GT sitting in my driveway has an MSD ignition coil. I'm debating on trying it out....only thing is...it will require some finagaling (lol), mounting the coil, and messing with some of the wires. I wouldn't mind...but when I get the 1991 running, I'll be taking it back.

I'll probably just do the coil/cap/ and rotor.

As far as flooring it cold, I RARELY get on it until it warms up....but I was in a hurry, and wasn't flooring it when it began to do that....so as a little "experiment", I began flooring it....and that is when I noticed the problem (it's never done this before).

·
Registered
447 Posts
move your fuel filter and just let it hang out down below its normal bracket, then use the fuel filter bracket to hold your blaster 2.
also, if the engine wasn't fully up to temp, this could have contributed to your misfire under boost. make sure you have the engine up to temp before you go flogging it too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts