Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured you'd see the title and realise I wasn't going to ask anymore questions just say thanks for the help with my stuff. I got most everything installed today after work. Cept the new amp which will be here monday. They way I have it wired I can run just one sub on that Boss audio amp at 2 ohms which I did to test it out. All I can say was wow with only one cvx 12, it was still much louder than the 2 comps I had before.

As it stands my system is this:
A sony explode head unit which I'm switching to my panasonic one since the aux input on it is jacked up and my ipod doesn't work on it.
Polk Audio speakers all the way around
Hifonics BXI1608D Brutus amp at 1-ohm (1600 watt rms)
2 12" kicker CVX's in a sealed box

It is in my white 88 mx6 hybrid started as the base model with no power anything now it has all the semi-power locks and power windows. My dad took my manuel mx6 and gave me his since mine is stock it drives alot better.

The car is white, lowered with black 17" ADR rims, and 20% tint with a black spoiler. I will have pictures of it soon cause its fairly nice. He did all of the work to it and I did the stereo stuff once I gained ownership of it.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ LOL, I have no problem answering your questions John, it seriously doesn't bother me as much as you think. At least you learn from everything, so with that, I have no problem with it at all.

But its looking good so far. Good luck with the finished install, let me know if you need any final system tuning help.
-Cheers buddy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I know, but I'm really grateful cause getting my info from you is a whole lot more helpful than finding a bunch of random help on the internet. I mean u can never really trust alot that you find on the internet and you seem to know a whole lot about this kind of stuff so I trust what you say.

On a side note I didn't realise how much speaker wire is actually used when wiring things up. It really takes a good amount of wire.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh man I thought I was going to get away lucky with something for once. Nope didn't happen. So I'm crawling in my car trying to hide all of the wires and such when it happened. I just decide to push on the subwoofers for some reason the left one moves freely. The right one which isn't hooked up has a scratching noise and a slight drag in it. So I'm pretty mad the thing never got hooked up and something is wrong with it. I hook it up to see if it works at low volume only. I notice a slight vibration sound when its playing. So I cut it off and push it some more same thing scratching sound and slight drag. Then I unhook it and hook the other up sub. Works just fine. So now I'm emailing kicker and hifisoundconnection to see what they say. I read that you can go see a authorized kicker dealer to see if they can do anything for you so I'm going to call the nearest one tomorrow. Anyway so I don't know what to do and don't want to pay to have my freaking sub sent back to anywhere that I didn't even break in the first place.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
yeah the sub is fucked. If you've NEVER hooked it up before, and its already damaged then I'd say yes there was a serious problem with shipping. That scratching sound, and the resistance is because the voice coil is damaged, and is now rubbing againest the motor structure. The fact that you've installed it before checking it over will cause quite a concern from Kicker, as countless people install subs wrong, and blame it on kicker... I think they'll be worried you're pulling the same trick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I told them I just went to put it in and was checking it, noticed the problem and never hooked it up. For fear it might void the warrenty so I have no idea if it works. But I talked to a guy at a circuit city and he said any dealer might exchange it since they carry the same warrenty. But they coudn't do it since they were closing. Also I couldn't even hook it up cause my amp isn't 1-ohm stable and I told them I was waiting for my amp which arrives tomorrow so they wouldn't think I hooked it up. But I emailed the people at hifi since I bought it from them on ebay I believe they will be more likely to make it right than kicker will. Since poor feedback from me affects their ratings on ebay. And I'm calling a local shop in the morning to see what they say. I'm bout to post pictures as soon as I resize them. I really do find it hard to belive that people install subs wrong its really not to difficult except keeping the +'s and -'s straight specially with DVC's.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ IF you redo the wiring, so you're only using one VC per sub, (for both subs) you'll then be left at two ohms, and you can run your system like that for now. The main reason subs have Dual VC's is for more wiring options. So use that to your advantage that way.
Conversely you can also just have one sub, with both coils in parallel, and that'll also give you the two ohms you're after.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yea I know I'm running a 1-ohm load with two subs. But the amp in the picture is only 2-ohm stable so I only connected one sub (leftside). That way I could leave it wired in parallel and not actually redo anything. The rest is ground stuff I was measuring the length that I needed. Oh and great news the women in the warrenty department I talked to from kicker said I was fine unless I ran over the sub with my car. Should take two days to process and then ship back out to me. So tomorrow I'm going to ship it to them. The guy at hi fi sound connection said I had to fill out this information then file a claim. Then they would send the info I needed. Also he started saying stuff about a restocking fee. So I just said forget I'm sending it to kicker.

Side note pulled sub out started pushing on it and after messing with it a few minutes it stopped rubbing. SO I'm assuming something is loose somewhere or not glued all the way. And it randomly rubs so idk? Either way I'm sending it back for a new one just incase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts