Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its no wonder voltage drop occurs when the 'climate' control shifts, with the head lights on, and the motor running....

Has anyone SEEN the earth strap??!! The battery to block is bad enough, but block to chassis!! Thats [email protected]!!

So, today I ripped out the block to chassis, and replaced with 4AWG, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!, my next mission is to replace the battery to block with 2AWG , as soon as I can find the contact point on the block!

Just thought I would share this, anyone who is/has put(ting) an amp in for their stereo is wasting their time is they dont upgrade these two earth straps, seriously, my xtant's were receiving 11.9V in the boot :damnmad:

Now it idles SO much better too!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
It's no that bad actually, but what it does do is suffer from heat and it eventually cracks, heat menas more resistance meaning it can't do as good a job.

There is actually I think on both manual nad auto 2 straps.
One on the rocker/top of cam to right-hand strut And one which goes battery-body- gearbox. This one is 6Guage equaivlent but uses thicker cooper strands. It is compared with other cars on the market fine. Unless oyu are running some heavy Watts in your sounds system.

But it's heat that kills it. I am using new cabled earth, but onyl as I had a short from my Gearbox to body cable this was due to heat and alot of bending - the thick cable strands inside don't like to be bent much.

earthing on more modern cars is real crap, Excel to echo. Even the new fords with 120AMp alternators uses a fairl small cable to earth straps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.