Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past couple of months since I changed my water pump, my car's been really sluggish - I mean RS sluggish no.. I mean 1979 3 cylinder civic sluggish - and I"ve got a ZE. I drove around with the miss for a while, because I couldn't afford anything to fix it at the time, but finally on the day after christmas, I got fed up and did a tuneup. The first thing I looked at was the spark plugs, which showed signs of burning seriously rich. In an EFI car, this shouldn't happen, so my first thought was the disty. This depressed me, because it's not a cheap part to be buying. More thinking. Then I realized that the car overheated on the way to the garage when I repalced my water pump. What would be affected the most by extreme heat? Anything rubber and plastic. Sure enough, I took a good look at the plug wires and boots. Cracked! With a new set of wires in, It feels like I took back 50 ft/lbs of torque. I'm back in ZE heaven!

As a side note: I decided to take a look at our "resistor wires" to see if I could find the resistor. The dremmel cutting wheel seems to work well. The SP boot is cut in half and no resistor! Maybe if it was called a resistance wire, I'd be less pissed about paying $88 for a set - but to call it a resistor wire, assumes that there's a resistor in there.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts