Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one day in auto shop at my H.S. i hollowed out my cat. it was pretty fun and i was anxious to drive it. as i left school this guy in a 91 prelude (who has been revving his engine at me for a while) pulled up behind me. everyone is telling me that he wants to race me and that his car will spank mine. i was thinkin maybe so because he had a high-flow filter, header, and cat-back. it was the 2.0 Si. so i decide to try out the hollow cat. we pull up to a light, im in the right lane, hes in the middle. as im strapping on my 5-point harness, this guy in a 99 ford F-150 pulls up in the left lane, rolls down his window, and says " i bet you $50 that he [the lude] kicks your ass." im thinkin "this is gonna be close". hes like well see [the lude]. i put my window up, the light turns green and we both launch. were even through first. as we shift into 2nd i was thinkin he was gonna pull on me but the 2nd gear of my 6 was better. i gain a nose length and hold it (and even pull a little)through third. about halfway through third, he cuts it off. i look over to tell him good race (thumbs up) and he doesnt even look at me. i drive for a few hundred more feet when i realize (over my pumping adrenaline) that that a$$hole in the F-150 owes me $50!!! it was too late. he turned off before i could turn around and i had places to go anyways. oh well i felt pretty good and the next day at school was a good one!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
You started strapping on a 5 point harness? for a street race??! Dude, If I someone did that when I was going to race them, I'd be laughing too hard to actually drive correctly! Good strategy! :)

All kidding aside, nice kill.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i plan on goin fast enough to potentially kill myself, i take the proper safety measures. i also dont trust the factory hood catch. thats why i have hood pins. my friend talked me into the hood pins because one time on his way to los lunas, he was goin about 130 in his talon and the hood flew up on him. he said it sounded like a shotgun. the winshield was shattered into microscopic pieces and his roof was pushed in quite a bit. he initially tried to fix it but he ended up sellin it.

of course now if someone laughed at me at the light, they would probly stop as soon as it turned green:D. hey man, one time my friend (the same one with the talon) pulled up to this guy in a primered CRX that was all hopped up. he was in his integra with a body kit (all show, no go:rolleyes: ) and revved his engine (he was just fuqin around). now you would laugh at what happened next... the guy in the CRX strapped into his 5-point, and PUT ON A HELMET!!! he looks over and points forward twice (lets race style). can you imagine a skinny chinese guy in a full-faced motorcycle helmet??? that thing was bigger than him!....LMFAO

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I was just crackin on ya. I understand the desire for added safety, I'm just picturing it though. That shit with the helmet is funny as hell. Then I would be really laughing my ass off :).

·
Registered
236 Posts
.. This all reminds me of the movie "Better off Dead".. with the Chinese drag racers (and the one who talks like Howard Cosell)

I dont blame ya for the safety harnesses.. anyone ever seen an MX-6 with a rollcage?? :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Astro_Z said:
.. This all reminds me of the movie "Better off Dead".. with the Chinese drag racers (and the one who talks like Howard Cosell)

I dont blame ya for the safety harnesses.. anyone ever seen an MX-6 with a rollcage?? :)

no but i plan on getting one as soon as i break in my engine!

·
Registered
332 Posts
GREAT MOVIE

G

·
JspecMX-6 said:
if i plan on goin fast enough to potentially kill myself, i take the proper safety measures.
I kinda chuckled at the harness statement too, but it's actually a good idea. A few years back there were four guys outside the town I live who were decapitated when they wrecked around a corner doing 100+ mph. That made me realize that in high speed accidents, sometimes seat belts can't help. It also made me realize just how fast 100 mph is when you hit something.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you saw it happen????

G

·
Nope, didn't see it happen, but cops all over town were talking about it, and it of course made front page in the paper. I didn't really believe it until cops started talking about it. There were inspectors and detectives all over the wreck site for a couple months afterward too.

G

·
harness safety?

Would a five point harness even help at 100 mph?? i mean do u even think you'd have a chance in surviving? you'd probably almost be better of getting pitched through the windsheild. I dunno i wrecked my 94 mx6 this year and totalled it, and safety wise, i'd definetly be scared to be in a car to car collision in them b/c the airbags didn't even blow and i was doing easily 65-70 when the front left tire blew, it yanked the wheel to the right really fast, and to avoid hitting an oncoming car i corrected to the right, well the rim must have dug into the road or something b/c the rear end of my car broke loose and i shot into a ditch and ended up in this old ladies front yard. I wasn't hurt, shit i wasn't even wearing my seat belt, i was very lucky, yet not wearing the belt is very stupid, however the air bags didn't deploy.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: harness safety?

hondarider2000 said:
Would a five point harness even help at 100 mph?? i mean do u even think you'd have a chance in surviving? you'd probably almost be better of getting pitched through the windsheild...

I wasn't hurt, shit i wasn't even wearing my seat belt, i was very lucky, yet not wearing the belt is very stupid, however the air bags didn't deploy.
the airbags arent supposed to deploy except in a head on or similar. but i hate airbags anyways and they wont touch me (hopefully) if they deploy.

and yeah they would definately help at 100 MPH. heres why:

A) with a single shoulder harness, diagonally worn from left shoulder to right hip, in a head on, your upper body will twist to the left.

B) with a single shoulder strap, all the force is placed on one strap. that strap returns equal force (given it holds position). when you have 2 straps, that force is distributed over a larger area, and therefore the force on any specific point is minimized.

C) the straps are wider. ever try cutting down a tree with a belt sander? why do you suppose lumberjacks use chainsaws?

D) they are already locked into posistion. at 100 MPH, that extra inch or so that it takes for a conventional seatbelt to lock can be painful.

E) have you ever seen anyones face who has been in a head-on in an air-bag-equpped car? i hope that if that air bag ever deploys, it doesnt touch me.

F) do you think youd have a chane at surviving a head on at 100 MPH with a conventional seatbelt? you bet. are your chances better with a restraint system that is designed to be used in race cars? i wouldnt doubt it.

these things might not seem like much for your normal street speed accident but the difference they make at high speeds is parabolic.

·
Registered
236 Posts
all you need now is the HANS (head and neck restraint) device and a rollcage!!

hondarider2000- You honestly think you'd have ANY chance being pitched thru the windshield in a 100mph wreck?? This sounds alot like the "My friend has a friend who has a friend who wouldnt be alive today if he had worn his seatbelt!!" Your chances of being killed BECAUSE of a safety belt/harness are like %.01

G

·
Astro-Z said:
all you need now is the HANS (head and neck restraint) device and a rollcage!!

hondarider2000- You honestly think you'd have ANY chance being pitched thru the windshield in a 100mph wreck?? This sounds alot like the "My friend has a friend who has a friend who wouldnt be alive today if he had worn his seatbelt!!" Your chances of being killed BECAUSE of a safety belt/harness are like %.01

Yeah, my girlfriend is a Registered Nurse and has worked in a lot of different Trauma Units all over the country. She tells people who don't believe in seatbelts to spend just one hour in the ICU at a Trauma hospital. She says that those who don't wear their seatbelts will wish they were dead after a wreck-- most who are ejected end up in comas, unable to communicate their severe pain. There have been times she'll ask the patient to squeeze her hand if they understand her, and squeeze a couple of times to communicate pain severity. Although she too likes a good adrenalin rush, she thinks about the consequences all the time. She had a 240SX a few years ago that was totalled when some idiot failed to stop behind her at a red light. She was stopped, and it was estimated the truck that hit her was doing 45-50mph upon impact. If she hadn't been wearing a seatbelt, she probably would've broken more than "just" a vertebrae. I went off the road once in a Chevy Sprint, trying to avoid a deer (since it was nearly as big as the car). I hit some gravel on the shoulder, left the roadway, and went up on an embankment, flipping over and skidding topside down on the roadway. I was doing about 60mph and there was virtually nothing left of the car. The Stater who investigated said "I don't even have to ask you if you were wearing your seatbelt." Yeah, my neck was pretty sore the next few days, and I had some nice black bruises around my waist from the belt, but I was impressed that I lived after seeing that car....and that was at 60mph.

·
Registered
332 Posts
How about this one........Dont drive 100 miles an hour on public road. Save it for a closed track.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rbodeman said:
How about this one........Dont drive 100 miles an hour on public road. Save it for a closed track.
naw this is new mexico... turn signals are optional and speed limit signs are just suggestions. plus, who would follow my lead? if i dont haul ass, someone else will. at least i know how to control my car at high speeds. every time i get a mod that will affect handling, i go to a closed course and practice stunt driving, slalom, braking, etc. the next guy probably wont. plus all it takes for a 100 MPH impact is me headed at 50 MPH into a car going 50 MPH that swerved into my lane. whats next? everyone go 25???

·
Registered
332 Posts
Exactly.....all it takes is one person to swerve into your lane and BAMMM

But hey, Im not a cop so I cant give you a ticket for drive 100. But I still think its not very responsible.

I still say save it for a closed track.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
save going 50 MPH for a closed track? i dont feel like getting shot at on the freeway. sorry i cant help you out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Who was talking about 50MPH. I do believe I said 100 in my last post.

Hmmmmm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts