Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now I've been looking for a good fun car. I was first looking at older Mustangs and RX-7s, but by luck (a friend mentioned the MX-6 in passing conversation) I stumbled upon this car, and I think I'm in love. I'm sure you all know the feeling so I won't waste space explaining it.

The difficult thing is I haven't seen a lot of web pages or boards that cover the car. I'm definitely interested in a 2nd gen. From what I've gathered from this board the past week or so, 1995 is a good year to look for. The only problem I have is that's kind of a recent year (in my book). I was wondering what I could get away with price-wise for a decent working LS with a 5 speed? Kelley Blue Book says almost $9,000. Is that reasonable? I read that the 93s and 94s had brake caliper problems, is that the worst thing about them?

I've seen a few REALLY good looking kits for this car, but I haven't seen much for performance mods. Are there many/any? From reading posts here I get the idea that the 2.5 is more or less pushing it's peak. Am I wrong?

Thanks to anybody to responds, I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one of these.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The price will depend on where you live but you can definetly get one for less than that. I got my '94 for 6,000 and I've been seeing them in the Auto-Traders for somewhere between 6 and 7 thousand. Make sure you get the manual trans though; the auto is quite a bit slower. Price a few out at http://www.autotrader.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mods for the 2nd-gen MX-6 V6 will come from the same generation Probe GT part #'s and Jap spec MX-6 parts bins. I have a 93 626 and everything I've added so far were from these two cars, not one mod I've done has had a 626 application. Lot's of decent bolt-ons are available for MX-6/626/PGT cars, you just have to be creative. I have a 93 with no caliper problems yet.

G

·
I think price depends on what part of the country you are in. I live in northeastern ohio where they are very rare. So mine was alittle pricey. But it was well worth it. Try to find one with good maintenance records. Stay away from cars with leather. Its very poor quality. If you go for a 93 or 94 have the rear stabilizer bar and rear brake calipers checked cuz they suck on these years. Other than that happy hunting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 93 LS with 108000 miles, but the only thing I have to do is replace the 4EAT tranny but that is just from beating on it so much.

As far as mods, intake, exhaust, cams, pulleys, headers, turbos, superchargers, pistons, just about anything is available and if u do some research / bulk buy you might be able to get a better price. Also available is suspension kits (springs, struts, etc) from Itrax is what I went with.

Intakes that I know of are : Weapon R, Hotshot, PRM, HKS, Iceman. Headers are available from Hotshot and Brospeed as far as I know. Pheno spacers have been a big hit in the probetalk forum (www.probetalk.com)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all I just wanted to thank you for your responses
Hopefully within the next month or so I'll have my own mx6

daniel

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Having both an MX-6 (95 LS 5 speed 98K) and an RX-7 (91 non-turbo 5 speed 116K) I can say that the two are quite different. You will be pleased with either one I think.

The MX-6 is quieter and rides nicer, but for handling the RX-7 wins. Both have great engines and are a blast to drive.

Sadly I cannot keep both so have listed both for sale until one sells. I keep the other.

Tyson
http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
yeah, definitely try to get a 95+ since after that year they fixed ost of the bugs in the car. I personally have a 93 MX6 and have only had problems with the rear calipers. For 2 years I have had no engine problems or otherwise. Just take care of your car, do a lot of pre-maintenance on the car, meaning, don't wait till it's broken to fix it. Other than that, the MX6 is a hell of a car.... go for it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts