Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. need some help on this one...

as you know, my headlights have stopped coming on as has
high beam.

I really need to get this fixed as driving home @ 5pm last night was
not fun, using my yellow fogs to see!

I can't belive its the stalk.. thats just silly...

but if it IS .. any ideas on pulling it apart and fixing it (the spare I got won't fit)

or.. is there something that I'm missing...?

help!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I believe the relay is built into the stalk, and the only real way to fix it, wold be to change the stalk... You just need one the same as yours.

·
Registered
822 Posts
damn was just going to suggest a new relay! looks like a new stalk to me! quite a few cars being broken at the mo, espec' on ebay.

·
Registered
123 Posts
To be sure it's the switch on the stalk, have you tried a conntinuity check? - i.e.used a multimeter to check that the switch shorts when activated you can also do this with a bulb and battery. If the switch is not at fault keep working along the wiring till you find the break.

David

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
Interesting.. thanks for the enlightenment. :tup:
Why??? what do you call that little protruding bit of plastic used to turn the indicators (blinkers or turn signals)/lights (errr.... lights) on and off???

:E

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Russellg said:
Why??? what do you call that little protruding bit of plastic used to turn the indicators (blinkers or turn signals)/lights (errr.... lights) on and off???
Ummmmmmmmmmm <thinks>

I don't know if we have a name for it. Can't say I've ever called them anything by name. Maybe a knob?... :shrug: Surely not a stalk.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm... yea.. maybe i'll pull the cowl off again, unplug the stalk wire and see if I get contiunutiy through that.

nice one!

def worth a go..

thanks.

gnomon said:
To be sure it's the switch on the stalk, have you tried a conntinuity check? - i.e.used a multimeter to check that the switch shorts when activated you can also do this with a bulb and battery. If the switch is not at fault keep working along the wiring till you find the break.

David

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would think the problem would be in the voltage feed to the stalk. You will need a circuit diagram to trace the necessary wiring and then probe it for supply continuity. If you have voltage to the stalk then check the lead from it that triggers the lights but as both are off I would suspect the feed.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Postal Dude said:
I would think the problem would be in the voltage feed to the stalk. You will need a circuit diagram to trace the necessary wiring and then probe it for supply continuity. If you have voltage to the stalk then check the lead from it that triggers the lights but as both are off I would suspect the feed.

Gerry
I does sometimes go on if if I use 'flash' (push fowards??) and HB works, then MB comes on, but then it dies ..

?

so confused..

thanks for the tip.. i'm sure John posted the wireing diag.. i'll have a hunt..

·
Registered
757 Posts
Does the blue high beam indicator light stay on dimly afterwards?
Have you change a bulb or pulled the connector off the back of the headlights recently?

If so it might just be a bad connection across the wiring and may need to be cleaned of oxidation.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
And God said let there be a wiring diagram :E

And another...

John.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts