Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered $250 worth of stuff from the Parts Bin (www.thepartsbin.com) last night around 9 PM. (I got new front control arms and some rotors for my brother's '94 Celica.) Well, amazingly, the stuff arrived today at 3 PM!!! And shipping was free, because they give free shipping on any order over $50. So I'd say I had a good experience with this vendor.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Sweet! Did the control arms come with bushings in them already?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yep, they come with bushings in them.
There's a note on the parts bin site that says their parts all come from the OE manufacturer.
I'd like to find out more info about this though because....Although they are exactly like the ones on my car, the bushings don't have the same alignment marks on their sides as the bushings on my car and the bushings I recently bought from Mazda. (The stock bushings have arrow heads on them that are supposed to point inwards towards the mounting bolt.) So I'm not sure, perhaps the bushings aren't OE. Other than that little descrepancy the bushings look exactly correct. I'm not worried about it; whoever makes the control arms could have just changed their bushing mold for some reason.
It's all gravy however you look at it becuase the important part is that you're getting a new ball joint, which was the sticking point with these arms before we knew about this deal.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Word... I need to check my ball joints as I think one of them has some play in it. I've got some vibration that feels like an out of balance wheel, but it didnt go away with my new wheels/tires, and it seems to change in inensity if I bear right/left and if I'm accelerating. I also feel it at lower speeds under moderate/heavy braking, and my rotors arent warped.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Something along the lines of $64.99 each. Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The right is 65, and the left is 80. Don't ask why...I dunno.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
anarchy

Word... I need to check my ball joints as I think one of them has some play in it. I've got some vibration that feels like an out of balance wheel, but it didnt go away with my new wheels/tires, and it seems to change in inensity if I bear right/left and if I'm accelerating. I also feel it at lower speeds under moderate/heavy braking, and my rotors arent warped.
Sounds like this could be a wheel bearing..... my passenger side one went out a while ago and it sounded like a rubbing noise that got worse with turning/acceleration. Maybe something to check out.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
That might be a possiblity, but it dosent make any noise. The drivers side wheel bearing is new anyway.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wheel bearing

I had a shudder at around 70 MPH, also while accelerating through turns, and during braking. I jacked the front of the car up in the air and discovered my passenger side wheel bearing was in pretty bad shape. So I replaced the bearing (around $35 per side at autozone) and I still have a slight shudder in the above 3 situations.

So the these control arms will work on our MX-6's? Turbo, non-Turbo or both? I really need to look into some front suspension components because my front-end feels worn. Well, time to get back to work, y'all take care.

JohnathanJ

·
Registered
645 Posts
"So the these control arms will work on our MX-6's? Turbo, non-Turbo or both?"

please excuse me, it's been a long day.:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Yep they'll work. Although supposedly there is a difference between cars whos VIN starts with JM1 and those that start with 1YV. But i havent seen any evidence other than that this is what junkyards sometimes ask you when they look up control arms. In theory, there shouldnt be any difference.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm glad that I could help you out. Yeah that place is pretty cool. I ordered my control arms earlier this week and got them yesturday.

The free shipping on the arms is a blessing! It would have cost me about $20 extra.

BTW the control arm bushings in the turbo & n/a are different. I'm not saying they won't work though.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think anyone interested in these control arms should get them as soon as possible. There's no telling how large their supply is, when they'll run out, or if they can get more. If you sort through the site in the MX6 section it seems like there's lots of sections where they used to have stuff but have run out.

Oh yeah, they ARE selling the same control arms for both the turbo cars and NA. So maybe that explains the difference in bushings I noticed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I hope the bushings are GT ones. The collision manual shows two different parts numbers for both the n/a and GT.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well think of it this way-
You can buy both control arms from partsbin for about $150, and then get a set a 4 GT bushings from Mazda for around $130. So that's $280 and still less than the dealer wants for a single control arm.
Even if they are non-GT bushings, they'll be better than the bushings on most of our cars with over 150k on them, right?

·
Registered
449 Posts
You're right. I guess I can't complain, I'm saving about 75% comparing to the dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts