Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 252K miles, it is finally time to replace my clutch. I was looking to replace the flywheel as well, rather than get mine resurfaced. The only place I have found one is at Auto Zone. Advance doesn't carry it, O'Reilly doesn't carry it, and even NAPA doesn't carry it. I was especially surprised about NAPA.

Does anyone know of a better source? The Auto Zone was $57.99 with a $50 core charge. Is this a quality flywheel, or is it a piece of junk?

I also saw a Fidanza "flywheel shim" that just replaces the friction plate. Is this applicable to the stock flywheel as well?

Or would you all recommend I just get my original flywheel resurfaced?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The flywheel shim won't work with a stock flywheel, it's only for the Fidanza aluminum flywheels. If this is the first time replacing the clutch, I don't think it'll hurt anything to just have your stock flywheel resurfaced unless it looks like it's in bad shape.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did not think the stock flywheel had a replaceable shim, but it didn't hurt to ask.

This is the first clutch replacement, after over a quarter million miles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would just get the the flywheel resurfaced. Some parts stores can do it in a day or less and should only run $30-$40. Good as new but for less $$.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the guidance, folks. We'll see what shape the flywheel is in and go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts