Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a simple and almost Global system in place called the METRIC system. It is really straight forward and easy to use; so easy almost EVERY country uses it.

If you Americans weren't soo confrontational you would understand that it is much better and easier to use AND cars would be much easier to work on if there were all just built using the Metric system. Not to mention it would save Mechanics on tools in the long run.

And I won't even get started with the Fahrenheit scale. That is quite stupid and useless. What is wrong with the Celsius system!?!? Makes perfect sense and works. 0 should be 0, NOT 32. Water freezes at 0, NOT 32.

Get your heads out of your ass and join the rest of the world.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, it is funny because most Americans I know agree as well, at least when it comes to measuring temperature.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Being an older Brit, I would like the Metric system banned in the UK.

We used to have fully understandable weight measures such as:

Hundredweight - cwt
Stones - st
Pounds - lbs
Ounces - oz

And so on:

Claire my friend in Wisconsin says "What about using rocks, pebbles, grit etc" ...:lol:

She has a Brit sense of humour afterall.

Thank Heavens we still use miles an hour instead of those silly kilometers.

But we have to put with the temperature in Centigrade now but how can you relate 10 degrees C to 50 degrees F?

10 is COLD but it's not !!!!

However our weather forecasters often use both scales.

Thank God we still drive on the proper side of the road too like in Japan, Australia etc etc.

Paula

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with Paula on the MPH, driving on the proper side of the road and the temperature. However, I equally understand weight in Kilograms and Stones but not pounds. Also in small distances I understand Metric better than Imperial. It would be easier if it was all Metric but keeping MPH.

Robert

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MPH and KMH, I don't understand why they have both. Doesn't make sense to me. Just pick one that every country uses and metric that every country uses lol.

Makes things a lot easier. One people stop trying to always be right, the world could agree and make things easier for everyone.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
i'm not fighting on this one because i also think our US standard bullshit is retarded. 1/2" is almost the same as a 12mm. In fact there's about 3 that are ALMOST the same size but off by just a bit. That and i wouldn't have to buy two sets of snap on wrenches that both have the same purpose.

·
Registered
619 Posts
how can you keep metric but use MPH? KPH is metric!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
the idea of driving on the left hand side of the road scares me. as does driving on the right side of the car. i dont wanna shift with my left hand im right-handed! i agree with the MPH KMH thing, and even the metric/standard bit. and its bullshit that the world cant agree on a system where the smallest measurement is a millimeter. does america have millimeters? no. but we sure as hell wish we do all the time so we dont have to use freakin FRACTIONS! (noone likes fractions) almost all toyota lug nuts require a 21mm socket. do i know what that is in standard? hell no. do we have a 21 mm socket where i work? of course not.

never been out of US before.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
the idea of driving on the left hand side of the road scares me. as does driving on the right side of the car. i dont wanna shift with my left hand im right-handed! i agree with the MPH KMH thing, and even the metric/standard bit. and its bull[shizzle] that the world cant agree on a system where the smallest measurement is a millimeter. does america have millimeters? no. but we sure as hell wish we do all the time so we dont have to use freakin FRACTIONS! (noone likes fractions) almost all toyota lug nuts require a 21mm socket. do i know what that is in standard? hell no. do we have a 21 mm socket where i work? of course not.

I drove a RHD car a few months ago, and it is such a nice experience when driving on the right (as in opposite of left, not as in correct) side of the road. The visibility is much better, shifting isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, and my right arm is slightly bigger than my left, so it looks better hanging out the window. Plus, you're that much closer to cute girls driving next to you.

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Well I AM black, and you get better workouts with a longer range of motion.

Actually it's weird; the entire right side of my body is bigger than my left, even chest, thighs and calves.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have driven LHD cars in the USA, in France and other countries in Europe.

Once you get used to driving on the right, it's no big deal although being a golden oldie, I feel more comfortable driving on the left with my RHD cars as it comes to me more naturally whereas driving on the other side, you have to think more.

In 1981, I imported a LHD Alpine Renault A310 V6 sports car to the UK and being a left hooker on our roads, overtaking is far more difficult as you have to hang back a lot more in order to see vehicles coming from the opposite direction. Mind you the Renault's power sure helped.....:flamer:

Similarly driving my RHD cars in Europe presented me with the same problem.

Paula

PS. Asking a front seat passenger for advice on what is approaching is not such a good idea either.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
(noone likes fractions) almost all toyota lug nuts require a 21mm socket. do i know what that is in standard? hell no. do we have a 21 mm socket where i work? of course not.

Something around 1 1/16"

Either way i agree its fucking stupid. My set of 3/8" mm sockets and 1/2" sockets are easy as pie to figure out.

When something comes up that is US standard its eh......shit whats bigger than a 5/8"..... o yea 11/16"

Where as if it was mm's it would be crap, its not a 12mm, well i guess its a 14mm then. Takes less than a second. Plus the import vehicles generally only use 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19. Its not like the US cars that have a combo of US standard and metric bolts.

It would take quite a bit to get used to but driving on the left is something i could do in time as long as i didn't have to change the steering.

Personally i think it would be safer to have it that way. Keeps the drivers away from each other in an accident, unless its head on and then your still f'd lol.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it seems agreed that everyone would prefer the world to run off the metric system. but how do you get countrys/companys to do this?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well it seems agreed that everyone would prefer the world to run off the metric system. but how do you get countrys/companys to do this?
well china uses the metric system. so when they eventually take over the world im sure converting to metric wont be such a problem. :p

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi Seva,

I thought that the Chinese already had judging almost everything you see in the shops is " Made in China. "

Paula ;);)

well china uses the metric system. so when they eventually take over the world im sure converting to metric wont be such a problem. :p

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Seva,

I thought that the Chinese already had judging almost everything you see in the shops is " Made in China. "

Paula ;);)
haha yep,
next step would be having Chinese banks all over, so we can borrow money from them to pay for their products :p

america already does this on an international scale of course, so not too far fetched i think!

·
Registered
404 Posts
There is a simple and almost Global system in place called the METRIC system. It is really straight forward and easy to use; so easy almost EVERY country uses it.

If you Americans weren't soo confrontational you would understand that it is much better and easier to use AND cars would be much easier to work on if there were all just built using the Metric system. Not to mention it would save Mechanics on tools in the long run.

And I won't even get started with the Fahrenheit scale. That is quite stupid and useless. What is wrong with the Celsius system!?!? Makes perfect sense and works. 0 should be 0, NOT 32. Water freezes at 0, NOT 32.

Get your heads out of your ass and join the rest of the world.

Even our American made cars use metric bolts now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts