Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently pulled out of pocket 300 bucks to pay for my thermostat to be replaced, ouch yes i know but my mom gave them the go ahead without me knowing, (should have argued the fact that i didnt personally approve it but it at least had my car running again so i wasnt that unhappy.) so yes it did fix the car from overheating. For about 1 week.

Got in my car to drive downtown and it was warming up to normal then after several minutes at a normal temperature i saw my gauge plummet to cold then spring back to normal. not thinking much of it and assuming it was an odd gauge i continued driving. 3 blocks later my temp starts climing and i notice it around its peak and pull over immediately. I get out, kick a parking meter and swear profusely while i work my way to peaking under the hood.

I popped her and no coolant was blown over my engine bay so that was a plus. I gingerly felt my passenger rad cap and it was hot, i felt my drivers rad cap and it was cold. check my overflow and it was about mid full. I slowly twisted my drivers side rad cap and released the pressure and heard alot of bubbling and then peaked inside to see that it was dry there.

I waited for the car to cool down (painstaking) and drove it 3 blocks at a time to my grandmothers house. when i got there i took another look at it and it had blown coolant all out of the drivers side rad cap.

I looked underneath it and i saw coolant drip from under the passenger side of the car (eep!)

So im curious, is it simply another failed thermostat this soon, or is it an air bubble in my coolant. or am i looking at a water pump here.

I asked them if my water pump was shot when i took it in to get fixed and they assured me it was fine but i just don't get where i keep losing coolant if when it initially overheated it didnt look to be leaking.

Sorry for the novel i just wrote but i figure if i can give alot of details it makes for better answers. really getting frustrated with this. ANY advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
First, burp/bleed the coolant. The erratic temp issue could be caused by air-bubbles in the system. Either that or you fitted a dud. You may also have blown a head-gasket which will cause a lot of bubbling in the coolant.

Check your oil for the signs... or to be safe, have it pressure-tested.

The leak on the passenger side points to the water-pump as you suspect. Let her warm up (not overheat) and then check where the dripping comes from. Pressure from the overheating may have popped the pump.

Reactions: rube

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
usually if there are bubbles in the system the guage will jump to hot not to cold (steam is hotter than the coolant)

if you notice a leaking on the passenger side of the motor and the hoses look good...looks like you might have a pump prob....but if you had coolant all over a drip might have just been residual coming down off of things

really not sure how to explain why the temp guage would drop to cold ...??

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I just did my water pump and the overheating stopped for about 3 weeks, now it keeps trying to heat up when im idling even in the cold weather but the fan brings it back down... most of the time I think I have a rad hose leak and I think its my thermostat as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem as you (except the temp guage dropping) and have been told its the water pump. Im hoping I havent blown the head gasket too!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I recently pulled out of pocket 300 bucks to pay for my thermostat to be replaced, ouch yes i know but my mom gave them the go ahead without me knowing, (should have argued the fact that i didnt personally approve it but it at least had my car running again so i wasnt that unhappy.) so yes it did fix the car from overheating. For about 1 week.

Got in my car to drive downtown and it was warming up to normal then after several minutes at a normal temperature i saw my gauge plummet to cold then spring back to normal. not thinking much of it and assuming it was an odd gauge i continued driving. 3 blocks later my temp starts climing and i notice it around its peak and pull over immediately. I get out, kick a parking meter and swear profusely while i work my way to peaking under the hood.

I popped her and no coolant was blown over my engine bay so that was a plus. I gingerly felt my passenger rad cap and it was hot, i felt my drivers rad cap and it was cold. check my overflow and it was about mid full. I slowly twisted my drivers side rad cap and released the pressure and heard alot of bubbling and then peaked inside to see that it was dry there.

I waited for the car to cool down (painstaking) and drove it 3 blocks at a time to my grandmothers house. when i got there i took another look at it and it had blown coolant all out of the drivers side rad cap.

I looked underneath it and i saw coolant drip from under the passenger side of the car (eep!)

So im curious, is it simply another failed thermostat this soon, or is it an air bubble in my coolant. or am i looking at a water pump here.

I asked them if my water pump was shot when i took it in to get fixed and they assured me it was fine but i just don't get where i keep losing coolant if when it initially overheated it didnt look to be leaking.

Sorry for the novel i just wrote but i figure if i can give alot of details it makes for better answers. really getting frustrated with this. ANY advice would be appreciated.
are your fans cycling? confirm that first please. i don't care if they worked before you took it in, confirm that they are in fact working now. also while you wait for the fans to kick on, hold the radiator hose that goes to the thermostat and make sure the thermostat is in fact opening. be sure to keep an eye on your gauge and don't let it overheat. if it gets too hot before the thermostat opens or the fans don't kick on, turn it off. and if that happens i would take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it, for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts