Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a new thermostat for my car. But I an not 100% sure which one to get yet. I would like something better than the tin ones at autozone. I was looking at carparts.com and there are a few of them listed for our cars. Stant, which looks like cheap ones... and Beck Arnley, which has a good name... The next choice is the TEMP. I can get the 192 or 180. From what I have read the stock is 192, but for thoese of us that are performance minded... 180's look like the better option.

Next we have the regular thermostat or we have a "Fail-Safe" thermostat. What is the differece? Is it worth it to have a fail-safe one in our cars? (It sounds like it would be a good idea to me!)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
James, our cars are supposed to use a dual-stage thermostat (there should be a label under the hood stating this). The only place to get one is from the dealer. I got one from a ford dealer for $15.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then how are we supposed to use/get a 180 thermostat on our cars? Besides are not all thermostats dual stage, you know, open/closed? :)

[Update] You are right on that one, the dual stage supplies water to the accessories and such. Without it you are looking or trouble. (verified this with Mazda)

[Edited by Manifest on 12-01-2000 at 05:19 PM]

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Hehe... I'm sure you can get one to fit that's not dual stage, but I'm just going by what the MFR says. The dual stage jammy looks like 2 thermostats in one. One is a really little hole, and the other is a normal sized one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts