Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seasons Greetings. Anyone have any recent experience changing a thermostat on a 93LS? Are there any gotchas lurking there? And is it absolutely necessary to drain all the coolant in order to do the job? I appreciate any response. Thanks,

GerryK

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's some help

Well no, its not necessary to drain all the coolant. HOwever it wouldn't be a bad idea to. this way you can do a good flush, put some oil pump lube and anti-rust in there, and make sure you top it off well. As far as the the thermostat replacement, its quite simple. Make sure you get the new rubber seals, and its not a bad idea to silicone seal the housing. The biggest mistake people makes is installing the thermostat backwards, look how it is posistioned when you take the old one out, and make sure the new one goes in the same way. Also make sure you tourqe everything down good and tight. Oh, also remember to get all the air bubbles out be squeezing the radiator hose. The best way to replace the collant is fill the radatior, then fill the engine, pump the hose a few times with the engine fill cap off and watch the air bubbles. Start the car (still with the cap off, it won't spray you don't worry) as the engine warms up you will see more bubble, keep pumping the hose by hand. When the engine gets hot enough the new thermostat will open and you will see the collant go down, keep pumping the hose and keep filling until you see the collant really start to overflow. Try not to make a mess, its a slow process its not just gonna start shooting everwhere. Recap the engine, let it run and run until you see your temp gauge rise up to normal operating temperatue. Then top off your overflow, cap it up and you're good to go!

Reactions: MX6Pilot

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm doing this this weekend. Does anyone know what he means, "pump the hose by hand"?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Futago said:
I'm doing this this weekend. Does anyone know what he means, "pump the hose by hand"?
Just kinda squeeze it, gets some of the lurking air out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if u force the thermostat open and put cold gel caplets into it before u install u can save yourself alot of time waiting and pumping, they will dissolve and also have no affect on your cooling system, that easy and that fast without waiting on bubbles, just did mine and it worked great

·
Banned
5,310 Posts
fuck

what are cold gel caplets

·
Registered
31 Posts
tylenol gel caplets will force the thermostat open so u can fill the coolant all the way without fighting airpockets, and melts quickly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts