Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the mx6- scene, Reguarly American Sports cars, sportbike rider, have accuired a 88' MX-6 as my daily driver. These rims, on this black 1st gen, are from a modern day Mazda 6 right?? I think their 17's right??? 5-spoke design...Does anyone know, are they a direct bolt-on? Are there any steering problems, Lock-to-Lock? anything else? Right now I have Factory ALU. 15" rims, w/ some 225/50/15's BFG G-Sports, not really sticky, but will due....
thanks....

h t t p : / / w w w . m x 6 . / f o r u m s / s h o w t h r e a d . p h p ? t = 1 4 3 4 3 0

cut and paste please.. :)

p.s. this forum is RETARDED, beacuse of the fact it does not allow newbies to post links.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Well, you cant post links but Im guessing theyre on a black LX/DX.

They are a bolt on, BUT the offset is horrible on those wheels. I believe the owner could get them to fit without rubbing was 205/40/17's.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
2wdblast said:
p.s. this forum is RETARDED, beacuse of the fact it does not allow newbies to post links.
Its actually a good thing! Keeps some trolls away:)

You will need a nice spacer to fit the M6 rims as Ray mentioned with decent size tires. He has had experience with the newer Mazda rims like the Mazdaspeed Protoge wheels

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean these wheels have a high off set ( wheels are closer to the center of the car) ? 205's all he could fit???!?!!!?? I had 225/15 M/T comp. and 2nd gear was still useless. ... Does that rim look good on a 1st gen???

there are a few of you on this board at all hours arnt there'???....

I like it.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
2wdblast said:
cut and paste please.. :)

even though it will parse out your link, someone will be kind enough to quote it and it will work. i do not have the energy to remove all the spaces from that url however :jump:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
those look awesome!

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I had 225/15 M/T comp. and 2nd gear was still useless. ... Does that rim look good on a 1st gen???
If your slamming the gear from 1st to 2nd yea I can understand. Even with 215/40/17's I manage to spin all 2nd gear, same with my 225/45/16's GST wheels. My Rx7 Vert wheels spin just boosting 2nd gear.

The 6 does look damn good. Although its not that low in real life. Its PSed.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont even bother to get on it in 1st.. easy in to second, they'll light up pretty easy....3rd, spins, half way through the gear....it was better with the M/T i had on last year...I'm not sure how much my cars lowered... I didnt install the springs.. I'll have to get some pics up here..

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Whats your mods if you spin through 3rd gear.
At the most I'll spin 2nd gear thats about it. 1st gets a little happy but not much since turbo lag.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
-Head:
5* valve job
head decked
-Exhaust
3'' straight exhaust
ported exhaust manifold
-Intake
all hard intake tubes
cool air intake
T3/T4 turbo
granger valve
2XX intercooler
-Trans
Phantom Grip LSD
probe sport shifter
-Fuel system:
supra fuel pump
supra injectors
Cartek rising rate FPR
-Ignition
MSD 6AL
MSD blaster 2 coil
-SUS.
eibach springs & sway bars
strut tower brace
-INT.
A-pillar guages:
greddy EGT
autometer boost

Been turned down for winter driving... but Spining some 3rd was @20psi

umm... I think thats it

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
nice mods...what do you dyno? and is it mustang or dynojet?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Phantom Grip LSD
I had that in my old transmission. Lasted a month. Dont beat on your car too much.
Damn man, I hope to make some good power sometime. Maybe after my new turbo.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
you getting away from the hybrid Ray?

I'm still "planning" on my T3 setup....wish me luck..heh

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
-Fuel system:
supra fuel pump
supra injectors
Cartek rising rate FPR
Forgot to ask, what were you ARF's with that fuel set-up a and 20psi??
Me on 20-21psi are in the high 11's. Im running DSM 390's, 255lph pump, JayB chip.

Whats the A/R's on your turbo......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
phantom grip only a month???? Crap... well no troubles with mine yet...
I've got viturally no wheel hop, and almost never "launch" the car from a dig. Almost every thing that ends up wide open throttle, is done from a roll. And I'm still getting rubber in most all gears... I'm not sure what exactly injectors they are.... I'm pretty sure they are from a 3rd jen Toyota Supra. Same with the pump..that much was done before I get my hands on the car. Same with the Turbo... t3/t4 not sure what's A/R.... Never had the car on the dyno, beacuse I figured I'd prolly be dissapointed.Seems these cars make a decent amount of tq. Its for sure a fun car to drive around, some time this next year, I'll throw it on a dyno.. Whats the diff. between the dynos???

Oh, AFR's??... well I havnt put a wide bandO2 on the car yet...tho at my disposal, I've pretty much tuned the car with a fuel pressure guage, and the EGT guage....Lame maybe, but seems allright, I'm sure is Allright, the EGT stays well under eight hundred deg. @ wide open throttle through 4th gear... I'm sure 5th all the way to the limiter of 6200 is possible.

Also,Ive been wondering... my car seems to pull its hardest around 4k-4,500..... seems to trail off a bit by redline. Not sure but boost seems to stay pretty steady.... however, perhaps there is some sort of restriction in the exhaust?? I'm running straight 3'' no cats, no muffler..... simply the downpipe outta the turbo, has a dent(from bottoming out I guess)... talked to a reputable exhaust guy I know and he said it wouldnt equate to much.... Prolly not the reason for this trailing off of power... So I wonder what it is..... any ideas??

To any of you experienced guys out there, what kind of power you think my peice is makin anyhow?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
phantom grip only a month???? Crap... well no troubles with mine yet...
I've got viturally no wheel hop, and almost never "launch" the car from a dig. Almost every thing that ends up wide open throttle, is done from a roll. And I'm still getting rubber in most all gears...
My car got a good amount of wheel hop. Im sure thats what ate my diff. If you do a search, you'll find my thread and the pics of my diff. HORRIBLE site. Hahaha
Im not sure if the PG was install wrong or it was my driving. My current transmission has 200,000+ miles and its fine. Way better than my other rebuilds.

I'm not sure what exactly injectors they are.... I'm pretty sure they are from a 3rd jen Toyota Supra. Same with the pump..that much was done before I get my hands on the car. Same with the Turbo... t3/t4 not sure what's A/R.... Never had the car on the dyno, beacuse I figured I'd prolly be dissapointed.Seems these cars make a decent amount of tq. Its for sure a fun car to drive around, some time this next year, I'll throw it on a dyno.. Whats the diff. between the dynos???
So, the injectors are 440's then?? No problems with the idle, or driving around town?? Hows the gas milage??

I doubt you'll be disappointed in the power. Im guessing, if you can lay patches in 3rd gear and your car is lowered at least 260-280whp and 280+ ftlbs. These cars arent high in HP but the torque will get you. 4000-4500rpms is where the hp and tq curves usually meet on our cars. Thats why it pulls the nicest around there.

Mustang Dynos are rated lower in WHP. Dont know why, all the dynos in FL are Mustang dynos with some exceptions.

Oh, AFR's??... well I havnt put a wide bandO2 on the car yet...tho at my disposal, I've pretty much tuned the car with a fuel pressure guage, and the EGT guage....Lame maybe, but seems allright, I'm sure is Allright, the EGT stays well under eight hundred deg. @ wide open throttle through 4th gear... I'm sure 5th all the way to the limiter of 6200 is possible.
Id get some AFR's sometime soon. Just to be safe. Tuning with an EGT gauge is too bad. My friends 3G Eclipse turbo is tuned with an EGT gauge, those pistons are like clay. So far so good for him. Just a heads up, try to stay away from boosting in 5th gear. Its an overdrive, its WAY too long and too much stress on the motor. Most of the people that blow these motors were done in 5th gear. It does feel nice, I'll admit. Just try not to do it.

Not sure but boost seems to stay pretty steady.... however, perhaps there is some sort of restriction in the exhaust?? I'm running straight 3'' no cats, no muffler..... simply the downpipe outta the turbo, has a dent(from bottoming out I guess)... talked to a reputable exhaust guy I know and he said it wouldnt equate to much.... Prolly not the reason for this trailing off of power... So I wonder what it is..... any ideas??
Im running 3in turbo back and out the side. Just before the rear pass side tire. No muffler or cat. I didnt notice a difference when running it out the side.

I mean, it could be hurting you high rpms power. These cars arent known for making power to redline. Id check the timing, advance it a little bit. Some people have advanced timing and made nice power curves.

15" rims, w/ some 225/50/15's BFG G-Sports
Question, any pics of 225's on the stock rims?? Many people said 215's is the widest possible on the stock rims. They are 6in wide:freak:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mx6GT91 said:
My car got a good amount of wheel hop. Im sure thats what ate my diff. If you do a search, you'll find my thread and the pics of my diff. HORRIBLE site. Hahaha
Im not sure if the PG was install wrong or it was my driving. My current transmission has 200,000+ miles and its fine. Way better than my other rebuilds.

So, the injectors are 440's then?? No problems with the idle, or driving around town?? Hows the gas milage??

I doubt you'll be disappointed in the power. Im guessing, if you can lay patches in 3rd gear and your car is lowered at least 260-280whp and 280+ ftlbs. These cars arent high in HP but the torque will get you. 4000-4500rpms is where the hp and tq curves usually meet on our cars. Thats why it pulls the nicest around there.

Mustang Dynos are rated lower in WHP. Dont know why, all the dynos in FL are Mustang dynos with some exceptions.

Id get some AFR's sometime soon. Just to be safe. Tuning with an EGT gauge is too bad. My friends 3G Eclipse turbo is tuned with an EGT gauge, those pistons are like clay. So far so good for him. Just a heads up, try to stay away from boosting in 5th gear. Its an overdrive, its WAY too long and too much stress on the motor. Most of the people that blow these motors were done in 5th gear. It does feel nice, I'll admit. Just try not to do it.

Im running 3in turbo back and out the side. Just before the rear pass side tire. No muffler or cat. I didnt notice a difference when running it out the side.

I mean, it could be hurting you high rpms power. These cars arent known for making power to redline. Id check the timing, advance it a little bit. Some people have advanced timing and made nice power curves.

Question, any pics of 225's on the stock rims?? Many people said 215's is the widest possible on the stock rims. They are 6in wide:freak:

Lets see..... yeah thats probly hurt it alot.... wheel hop that is.... like I said I have about none. Its kinda neat.... 2nd, and a little of 3rd just feels like its on ice, but movin out...I had a poly front engine mount, Stock rubber side mount(buy pullys) and a TRans plate I fabbed up. I wheel hop untill once it was bad enough that it broke the rear trans mount clear off the back of the trans. 0 damage to the actual case ( no leaky ) I pondered re-welding the stock mount on, but... if that didnt cut it, then Somthing stronger would have to be in its place.I'm sure you've seen it on RWD cars engine plate streching the width of the car... well Thats not quite what I have but, the Rear half of the trans,visible from the Drivers side wheel well.... encompasses 8 trans case bolts, looking like a horse shoe w/ the open end towards the front of the car. Made of 1/4'' thick cold rolled steel.The engine does not move at all.With the car in 1st gear, pushing back on the about as hard as you can simply compresses the sus...... So .... no wheel hop, bangin traction.Only 20k miles on this trans w/ the Phantom Grip. Seems allright...

Injectors, perhaps 440's... The cars MAF sensor is leaned out 4 or 5 notches, and fuel pressure's set gain starts at 10psi or 11psi.... after that the rising rate FPR increases fuel pressure to somewhere around 80lbs. of fuel pressure @20psi. It seems to Idle just fine... could perhaps be a little bit leaner during Idlen'...but
Around town & country/highway is Rich - check engine light comes on after short while of steady throttle ( O2 reading unburnt fuel) kicks Service Engine Soon Light on..
However, I spent a few hours trying to tune it with this Fuelpressure guage, and EGT's ... and that was the best combo for Any Driving condition.

Yeah, I dont really get up in it in 5th, sometimes up in 4th, messing around with a buddy of mine w/ a pretty quick turbo leBaron. Usually full boost is not attained for more than 7-8 sec. I've read MAX. BOOST, great book by corky bell.

I've got a friend thats got a dyno-I'd just take it to him...close by.. not sure what kinda dyno it is though have to find out...

Thanks will try that with the timing...!!! thanks

Yeah I've only got 225/whatever/15's on the front.... I've got some like 205/50/15's on the back, the fronts are a teeny bit smaller in dia.
But the fronts look fuckin bad. Nice lookin' tall tire, complemet the entire car. No rubbing @ full lock w/ the wheels. There BFG G-sports, I'd like to run them all the way around. and I dont know much about these MX6's but 225's on mine ... Heard it here first I guess.....I think they'd look good, I'll get a pic on here asap

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
That whole transmission deal sounds pretty damn cool. I need something like that to keep the trans soild. Hows the driveability with it?? Im sure it vibrates really bad.... Right?

Injectors, perhaps 440's... The cars MAF sensor is leaned out 4 or 5 notches, and fuel pressure's set gain starts at 10psi or 11psi.... after that the rising rate FPR increases fuel pressure to somewhere around 80lbs. of fuel pressure @20psi. It seems to Idle just fine... could perhaps be a little bit leaner during Idlen'...but
Around town & country/highway is Rich - check engine light comes on after short while of steady throttle ( O2 reading unburnt fuel) kicks Service Engine Soon Light on..
However, I spent a few hours trying to tune it with this Fuelpressure guage, and EGT's ... and that was the best combo for Any Driving condition.
I havent touched my MAF at all. I probably should to get some better AFR readings.
My CEL comes on when Im driving around town also, but thats because my EGR is disconnected.

Yeah I've only got 225/whatever/15's on the front.... I've got some like 205/50/15's on the back, the fronts are a teeny bit smaller in dia.
But the fronts look [fizzle]in bad. Nice lookin' tall tire, complemet the entire car. No rubbing @ full lock w/ the wheels. There BFG G-sports, I'd like to run them all the way around. and I dont know much about these MX6's but 225's on mine ... Heard it here first I guess.....I think they'd look good, I'll get a pic on here asap
The 225's wouldnt fit on the rear? I have BBS wheels on my car right now and I want some 225/50/15's all around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts