Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, geniuses and all the like ...

I just had the infamous water pump/ timing belt ordeal taken care of. My pump was leaking a little.. now i have a little problem. when i drive around for a while my engine tends to get very hot.. maybe 85% (which i then shut it off), i can hear that the fans are on, my NEW pump is not leaking.. the upper and lower radiator hoses are hot, so that tells me that the thermostat is open..

the radiatior is hot all over ... so that tells me that the pump is working and that the coolant is flowing ...

the only thing i havnt checked is the radiator cap (which im on the way to get a new one).. but based on my usual luck, i never have a $5 fix, it always has to be more expensive.. so is there anything else you guys can think of ... i dont think that it is the temp sensor either, because the engine is really very hot, and i can smell a little heat as well ...

also when my car gets passed the 50% temp mark it sometimes dies, and is very difficult to restart, why is that so .. i dont have a problem at all with a cold start, just warm starts!!!

-Scuba-

·
Registered
511 Posts
you could have the heat soak no start symtom of the infamous distributor.

you seem to be checking everything as far as the cooling system. if the pump is working the thermostats open and the fans kick on i don't know what else would be wrong unless your radiator is shot.

good luck

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ya the radiator might be plugged up or one of the hoses or something in the engine itself. But if you say that it just started overheating AFTER they replaced the pump, I'd take it back to them and tell them wats up. It might be something they did. Do your fans kick on at the right time? Usually around half is where they should kick on. Any other leaks you see?

Hope it works out bro... LaTeR...

:eek:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the new radiatot cap.. and i hasn't gotten as hot... but i did get passed the half way mark when i came to an idle, .. i hopped out of the car and double checked the fan it was blowing ... my only question left is can the lower radiator hose ( the one leaving the engine block (where thermostat is)), still get hot if coolant is not passing ... but with common knowledge i would assume that since the lower hose is getting as hot as the upper hose.. then the same hot coolant is passing through and its not the thermostat .. .. i dont see any white smoke when i start or drive the car, so i dont think it's a head gasket ... in fact I pray it isnt that!!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
K m8
you seem to be running ot of ideas :) so just try this i know you say that the hoses are getting hot but when you got the water pump fitted did they bleed the water system correctly ?, I seen it a dozen time and more, when you think you got water running round the engine it ain't you got an airlock if the system isn't bled right.
To check start the car cold an open the cap where you put the water in, let the car get to operating temp so the thermostat opens and see if you can still see water if you can't then add water to the proper level, and replace the cap then check after an hour or so wait till it's cooled down i don't want you to burn yourself :).

hope thats be of some help..

l8trz..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have almost the exact same problem. I got my water pump replaced as well as my radiator cap. There are bubbles coming out of the water in the radiator and I've been told that's something related to a gasket in the engine or something... maybe when they put the new pump in something wasn't sealed right? This all happened after I overheated on the highway so it wasn't a problem before. Any ideas on what might be causing the bubbles? My temperature goes up to 3/4 or more after about 45 of driving.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i hope for myself and for you that we dont have blown head gaskets, I myself do not have an oily residue in my antifreeze, or do not notice any smoke .... anyone know how bad it it to repair a head gasket

1 - 7 of 7 Posts