Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My girlfriend wants to buy an MX6. It'll be her first car,
so looking for something reasonably reliable. I haven't
heard anything bad about the MX6, except to stay away
from the automatic tranny. :)

Aside from that, is there anything I should look for
when helping her buy an MX6? Anything typical
problems that occur that I can watch out for, etc.?

Any help is appreciated.

TIA,
Mike

·
Registered
511 Posts
if there is oil in the plug wells then it needs valve cover gaskets, and if they haven't changed the timing belt yet try to knock off a few hundred on the price saying that you need to do a bunch of maintenance on it. as far as other things check out this website for all the info you need:

http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/index.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so, more or less, check for oil on the plugs... Timing belt... Rear calipers, ignition module and things of that nature are going to be evident...

And mostly on only pre-95 cars? Sweet. I'll go give it a lookover, and see how it looks. I think my only complaint would be the
yellowing headlights, and there seems to be lots of solutions
to that. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
good luck. i read through that site at least twice before buying my six and i've learned many things since then as well for whenever i buy another car.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Basically there aren't any problems with the 4 cylinder models unless they are equipped with automatics (Ford boxes).

The igniter problem and rear caliper problem are only on 93-94 V6s. I have heard of some electrical problems on very few 93s.

For the most part these are very reliable cars, atleast my 95 V-6 has been. It's a 5 speed with 127000 miles on it, never a major repair. I have done valve cover gaskets and CV joints and that's it. The valve cover gasket repair will run probably $300 for both of them, but a mechanic or dealer will be able to tell you exactly how much.

The V-6s supposedly have different (Mazda) automatic transmissions; they may be better but you should still be cautioned.

The timing belt job is a must on the 4 cylinder engine; if it breaks, you can bend valves. On the V-6 it will not do any damage, but it's still an inconvenience as the car quits.

Just do a thorough inspection of one before you purchase, and if you have any concerns about a specific car, post them on the board and you'll probably get lots of help.

Tyson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts