Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K I am thinking about buying one, My qustion is how are they on gas, Im only 17 now, ill be getting it when im 18 in a couple months, so I dont have the biggest wad of cash :p, and for those in ontario like my self, How much is insurence for them. Ive got my g2 not g, But I might have my G when I pick this baby up.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

Nate.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hi Nate

Gas can be a little pricey. It is reccomended that you put in 91+ octane for the car. As for insurance, when i got mine, i was about your age, i payed 2400$/yr, 1st driver, and insured both sides. One thing i thought was funny, any car model that has GT, Turbo, Type something in their name was an automatic 3300$/yr. Had i bought a Probe GT, i would be paying 900$ more for the same car.

Refer to the FAQ in the 2nd Gen for common problems and what to look for when buying a 2nd Gen. It'll come in handy when you go shopping for the car.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
yeah, about the octane...aren't the 2g's fitted with a knock sensor? regular unl gas should be good to go. just don't get the crap arco/shell shit. only real time you need premium octane or above is when you're either forced induction or hitting double digit compression ratio's.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Regular gas operates fine in the car. Not as clean as the 91+, however. If you're tight on money and just looking for a transportation car, get a 4cylinder. The 6 cylinder is a 14 gallon gas take that gets roughly 300 miles per gallon. 21ish gallons per mile. However, if properly maintained you can get upwards of 28-29 gallons per mile. Standard maintenance is key and you'll have to know the balance between the cost of maintenance to gas. IE: change fuel filter, change oil, change spark plugs, etc etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well right now I got an 85 buick regal (what a Boat) :p and that guzzles gas, takes like 40$ to get just over half so I think the mazda would be alot better, also my insurence for it is 3372$/yr. I want the Ls, personaly I love power, and would never buy the I4.
Nate.
P.s thanks for the help guys, and the warm welcome

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I only run 93 in all of my vehicles.. always have because the factory says "Premium fuel recommended".

And I agree on 2g > 1g as I don't think a 17/18 year old should have to worry about torque steer (along with the rest of the oncoming traffic).

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
at times when accelerating the torque steer on the 1g GT is so much that it can literally rip the steering wheel out of your hands if your not careful.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
at times when accelerating the torque steer on the 1g GT is so much that it can literally rip the steering wheel out of your hands if your not careful.
lol, you probably just sold him on the car. ;)

As for it ripping the wheel out of your hands, I'll say that only happens when there's an idiot behind it.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
or when your boosting 10psi and don't expect it that much of a spike...it's happened to be once or twice when i first got the car heh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.