Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont ha garage or anything, and im thinking of just spray painting my car. ill probably sand the rough parts down, and just spray paint it black.

Any suggestions as to what i should buy, for anyone who has done something like this with success?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i remember seeing a thread of someone and their "50 dollar paint job". they used rustoleum diluted with paint thinner and they applied it with a foam roller in their backyard. i'm sure they had a huge amount of bugs stuck to the paint, which just means loads of wet sanding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wat i was thinking of doing, since my car is currently grey (the previous owner had it painted, and its a mediocre job) i can just apply about 5 coats of black primer, let that dry in the sun, and then the next day just hit it with 7 coats of the actual black spray paint, and then 5 coats of clear coat paint.

i gotta fix up the trim and all that, but i know the links on this site already.

i just wanted to know if anyone had any advice about this, and how long a spray paint job would last if anyone has any personal experience

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
In 05 i believe one of the car magazines did this on a brand new wrx lol. They did flat black with rustoleum paint. Just make sure do float the spray cans in warm water for an hour. It will help the spray come out better with less splatter. But for the cost and time why not go to Macco and get a $500 paint job?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
enticing, but to me spray painting seems a little less tedious. i dont mind covering up stuff with newspapers and all that, but i just might go the route of rolling it on.
you want to see how bad of a job that makes your car look?
ill take a pic of a Mercedes here at the dealership (tech owns it)

feen

·
Registered
717 Posts
Rolling it or spraying Feen?

·
Registered
941 Posts
i have a friend who spray painted his mustang flat black, it looks ok but i would spend the money and get it done right.

Or you can do what the guy i bought my car from did go buy some paint and an air compressor and spray gun and do it yourself, it will look much better than spray paint.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
spraying at home is fine.

go get a compressor and proper spray gun. Then its a peice of cake. Get some proper paint from an auto paint shop.

edit: yeah didnt even read the post above mine lol.

yep I reckon the only way to do it at home is to go get gun and air compressor. Then it can look pretty damn good.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have an air compressor... I just wish I knew SOMETHING about prepping the car. AND painting it. LOL.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
ok.. to the point. DON'T

If your going to spend like that much money on spray paint to hand bomb your car, then just spend the cheap money and get a cheap paint job.. either way, the finish will last about the same.

The problem with spray painting is it DRIES way too fast and will look blotchy

·
Registered
245 Posts
Try the $50 paint job... Believe me, it works... I've done it to my z24, and the mx6! :jump:

The z24 looks a little flat, mind you it was only buffed, and hasn't been washed/waxed since last January! lol

The 6 got the same treatment, but I clear coated it. The only thing is I bought some good clear. Looks as good as factory. Nothing like show car paint jobs, but decent enough to make people do a double take when you tell them it was rolled on!

It looks like a really good single stage paint job. For a DD, it serves me well, and it freaking bulletproof paint! lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts