Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A freind of mine is willing to sell me a mx6 ls 2.5 with about 150 000 miles for 800 bucks, the motor seems fairly decent buh i think it might have a minor tick on start up for 30 or so seconds. It seems that when you beat on it there is a tendency of grinding 3rd. The power steering also acts funny when your making a tight turn it gets tight and loose in repetition, It needs dents pulled and so on but that's fairly simple. I was wondering if you guys could give me some input on this thing.

thanks john

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
It's really up to you John. If you do decide to buy it you will find all the help you need on this site. Just make sure you aren't in over your head with maintenance costs.

The ticking is most likely the hydraulic lifters that the KLDE motor uses. They get gunked up easily and make noise. It's not life threatening.

The gears grinding is most likely just old fluid. I'd change it out and see if it helps. If things are still bad I would suspect bad synchros.

I'm not too familiar with power steering because mine still works (for now). Maybe the power steering pump is bad/going bad?

I hope this helps some.
Chris

PS. What color is the exterior and the interior and what year is the car?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Up to you, if I could get one at that price in Australia, I'd be wrecking it for parts.

Repairing it will cost a bit. Not sure how much you guys pay for decent condition MX6s there.

Over here, 150,000 miles is about 240,000kms. It's not a great deal of mileage really, if it's been maintained properly with regular oil changing.

Consider how much a good condition MX6 costs. If you can buy a good one for 2000-3000, it may be worth saving for that. Before you know it, you could easily spend 1000-2000 fixing crap. You could get one that's has exhaust fitted and a few little mods, lower kms etc. It would save you money spending a bit extra.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea im probably going to get it, He tryed telling me it was a bad bushing somewhere for the ps. The car surprised me when i drove it though there pretty quick. There is some slop in the shifter if that helps at all. Its all black exterior, the guy before him painted the interior a grey blue and its cracking in some spots on the dash but it doesn't bother me much, was originally Grey i think. I know the previous owner took care of the car though. It has a chip and a cold air intake already.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
chip = fail...no real chips that actually do anything for this car unless you do a ZE swap and have somebody install the ZE eprom

CAI = :tup:

just beware, the aftermarket for this car is very limited.

a quick little car indeed. there are plenty with a lot more mileage on them than 150...for 800 bucks, if its in good running order, then i think it should do you fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts