Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinkin of buyin a MTX mx6. either '90 or '91. anything i should be looking out in these 2 models?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
same as the auto
just look out for a blown diff. Or Syncro's gone.
not much difference between them and your auto.
The onyl thing to remember is 80% of auto in the mx-6 95% 4WS were fully optioned. So you may find manuals with out sunroof (or not the factory type)
90-91 Well series 2's will be color coded have different trim
alot more 2WS - I have seen but it's the same old same old things to look for.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how will i know if the diff is gone?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
well without lifting up the car only way I know in mx6 1st gen.

I haven't driven one iwth a blown diff yet. Only in good nick ones
but have driven a few with 1st to 2nd syncro gone or worn a bit.
mind you the way I test drive or I get my best mate too - he's double the stupidness I am. it's foot flat and lets change with clutch to the floor.
Usually it's only at top end speed yuo hear the noise so if you drive it puffy you won't find out untill you thrash it.

I'm sure a ncie manual owner whos' blown a few diff will be able to tell you how it feels to them when it's gone.

noise is a good sign

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what would the average price be for a 91 mx6 in good nick ?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If the diff is gone you'll know about it....

The car is undrivable, or at the very least will clunk heavily when moving.

For general gearbox condition, listen for noises, vibarations and smoothness.

Pete

·
Registered
642 Posts
i know for about 1000km's b4 my diff let go it would get stuck in second gear after a hard session. once it was a chunk of metal wedged in the selector! the other times i just let the car cool down and it was fine. also at about 80km/h when cruising, sometimes there would be a clunk noise and the car would shudder. my mates tx5 had the same thing just b4 his box went. its not that easy to tell though, and the box could let go as soon as you get it! if u know the car hasnt been thrashed then it will almost certainly be ok. the history of the car should tell you how its been treated.

·
Registered
793 Posts
the spider gears went in mine, steering gets heavier and wants to pull away from centre. then it startsgoing CLUNK at low speeds especially around corners

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
startsgoing CLUNK at low speeds especially around corners
wouldnt this be ur CV axles or ripped boots?
i remember my car stayed in 1st gear a little too long last week, then when it did shift, it shuddered. that was after i was driving for 2 hours in 36 degree weather. never happened before and hasnt happened since. i think that was due to my auto getting too hot hehe.

but is there anything specific i should be looking out in the '91 model???

·
Registered
357 Posts
when my box went it made i big bang noise and the car jolted. i pulled over for a look and there was gearbox oil pissing out of it. it drop the pin holding the planetary gears and went throuht the side of the case. new diffs are $990 from japan. order through melbourne mazda. i just bought the only second hand box left in brisbane. And the sycros are on the way out. Doh!!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
the one im looking to buy has 181, 000km on it but has had 2 older drivers(slow acceleration in other words) for its entire life. does this make a difference to the overall state of the engine parts?

i.e. obviosuely it wears less with slower driving, but do the normal things like seals, gaskets, water pump, oil pump etc etc still wear at same rate with hard driving as with slower driving?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts