Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I need anything for the swap besides these items that are included when i buy the engine?
»Motor
»Engine Wiring Harness
»All required Cables
»ECU
»Distributor
»Complete Intake Manifold
»Alternator
»A/C Power Steering Pump
»All Brackets and Sensors

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
you wont need
»Engine Wiring Harness
»All required Cables
»Alternator
»A/C Power Steering Pump
»All Brackets and Sensors
»Distributor
the ones on your current klde will be compatable..

but "Complete Intake Manifold" whell most just go CAI..

theJspec ECU and VAF are a nice optional extra...
look ere..
http://69.93.84.70/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28967

And knock your self out on the search function..

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Yeah, if you have the i4, you really "cant" do the swap. It can be done, but it would be way cheaper and less work to sell your car and buy an LS with the 03 in it already. You can also check out this link here:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24982

The search function is your new best friend. There is tons of info on this site on the ZE, so take a look around, search, and you will find.

-Bryce

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is a CAI?

I was planning on using a V6 mX6 for my swap, i know the I4 swap would be way too much trouble. What is a CAI? And where would I find a j spec VAF? The motor I am buying already comes with the Jspec ECU.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
CAI is a cold air intake, you need one because the stock airbox setup on the ZE is different than the 03. As far as the vaf, I have no idea, sorry I can't be of more help in that regard.

If you run across any other acronyms on the site that you are unsure as to their meaning, check this out:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36115&highlight=mx6+lingo

Most of the most common ones are in there.

-Bryce

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you are going to do an engine swap dont go to the v6 go to the 1.8jspec the v6 doesnt have alot of internal engine mods, and the max power is bout 380hp 312 torqu, 1,8 is about 400 w/o bottle

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ummm, what 1.8 jspec engine are u talking about? An I4? If you have really deep pockets and you want that much power you can rebuild a KLDE, or a KLZE to handle massive boost and get just as much power. But three main quesitons still remain, which engine do you have right now, how much money do you have to spend, and how fast do you want to go?

-Bryce

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
inkfinity said:
The MX-3 came w/ a 1.8L V6......jspec is the K8ZE......
im sure he knows this...but the guy above him seems to be talking about swapping the 2.5L v6 mx6 motor for the j-spec 1.8L v6...which seems kinda weird...

The klze is a bolt up motor to a 2.5L (KLDE/KL03) a-spec mx6. Everything works fine. If you want to make it run 100% that's a different story. You need to correct fuel flow, and VRIS. some people get fuel regulators, and MSD swithces to correct these...
the KLZE eprome chip is for sale in the bulk buy section at the top of the main page. Im not sure if the emprom chip requires the j-spec VAF. but it fixes the problem as far as i know

If it does require the VAF, just get one from a mx3 V6, they are the exact same.

hope we have helped you any. By the way, there is a KLZE FAQ thread, search for it...actually i believe it is a sticky thread for "2nd gen performance"

David

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
did the klze myself
just turbo you kl03
I'm changing my pistons and boosting my klze next month

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Cause you have to replace basically everything under the hood. From the wiring harness to the exhaust setup. Even the engine mounts are different and located in different locations if memory serves correct.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
hmm... i dont think the engine mounts are different hmm.. im know the exaust will need to be redone and yes the wiring harnes needs to be switched i guess it will be an alright little challenge i try to post pics whenever we do it :)

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
as for the exhaust, all you need to change is the factory midpipe. the midpipe on the v6 is slightly shorter if memory serves. The engine will come with a new y-pipe, but i'm not sure how the muffler for the i4 would sound with the v6. :shrug:

there are more parts that have to be swapped than you probably realize. Most people who do this recommend that you have a v6 parts car to pick apart as needed. I have owned both an i4 and a v6, and I can attest to the fact that they are very very different under the hood.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
dang i just changed my friends clutch out (i4) and it didnt really seem to differnt im tearing apart my wifes car (v6) ima go take a close look tom. and see wat all is different i know the exaust radiator is different suspension is the same i think motor mounts r the same and i also seen that they did a forum based on atx to mtx but nothing else and also did a fsze which id need to do more learning about hmm if n e more info please share.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The axles are different. Not sure if they are completly necessary to swap over to the v6 or not though. I've heard mixed things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to mention the suspension is different, the V6 has a rear swaybar and a larger front swaybar. Even though the struts/shocks are the same size (and aftermarket parts are identical for both cars as a result) the OEM springs and struts/shocks are different. The I4 cars have lighter springs and less damping (it's marked right on the springs, they use color codes).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
okay this is good keepem coming please we got some springs for the v6 on his car already worked fine if u r wondering no it wasnt an even drop which was expected b cuz of the motor ok that said. the sway bar should be an easy switch i would think. oh and yes u r right the axle are different. keppem coming please we got the sway bar? the axles. ecu p/s a/c vaf. n e thing else?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think I heard that the actual gauges should be swapped over. Not sure if it is entirely needed but hell it couldn't hurt.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts