Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
hmmm......... i never thought of that one thas a good one ineed to look into that i mean they look the same could they be? as for the shocks he needed to get new ones n e ways for the rear sway bar will it really be required?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
How much should a klze engine cost?
i've seen 750 USD to 1300 USD...
also depends on what it comes with...
some sell automatic trannies with them...
others give you dizzy, alty, water pump, power steering, A/C compressors...

you will likely never get the ECU WITH the engine...nor the jdm 5 spd tranny

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like mx6dave said you will hardly ever get the ecu or the 5speed trans. with it. and if you do find a sight that it does come with it,its usually alot more. I bought my KLZE motor from japanracingengines.com the motor came with an automatic trans. which i took off and hooked up my 5speed trans. to it. It didn't come with the ecu either. All together i got mine for 1100. It was shipped out of canada to me in ohio so shipping for me was 300. It just depends on who you buy it from they are all different. You just have to check out alot of sights for your best deal.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I found that the cheapest way to get a KLZE is not a performance or racing shop but a JDM import wreckers. Just a regular wreckers that import their parts from Japan. I got mine for $850 AU (about $550ish US) with 6 months parts and labour warranty from a Jap import wreckers that sell only Jap OEM parts no aftermarket.

A performance shop in Sydney which i asked first wanted $2200 AU with 3 months warranty. ANother performance shop wanted $1800 AU.

·
Registered
645 Posts
hello sorry if this is an old post but i am going to to buy a ze in the next month and i want to be ready so really all i need is the engine right? because i can just chip my kl85 ecu with the eprom chip? and use the same transmission as from the aspec correct?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
hello sorry if this is an old post but i am going to to buy a ze in the next month and i want to be ready so really all i need is the engine right? because i can just chip my kl85 ecu with the eprom chip? and use the same transmission as from the aspec correct?
yes, but the eprom may or may not work, check with the manufacturer according to your year.
But all you will need is the engine, and if it comes with accessories like the disty, alternator etc, then bonus for you.
you will also need an intake. You stock box filter will not fit with the KLZE straight neck manifold.
Everything bolts right up though.

·
Registered
841 Posts
im buying a KLZE already running with everything for $800. is this a good price? it has 40,000 miles on the engine so i think its a great deal. im planning on bolting up my tranny from my klde so i can keep my 5 speed. now everyone i know that knows stuff about cars said im getting into something i most likley cannot do myself. i keep hearing theres so many tools i need like air tools and other things. so do you think i could do this myself?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
im buying a KLZE already running with everything for $800. is this a good price? it has 40,000 miles on the engine so i think its a great deal. im planning on bolting up my tranny from my klde so i can keep my 5 speed. now everyone i know that knows stuff about cars said im getting into something i most likley cannot do myself. i keep hearing theres so many tools i need like air tools and other things. so do you think i could do this myself?
$800 is a good deal for the engine, especially if the mileage is a reliable number.

you can do this yourself if you're mechanically inclined and you can get the proper tools. having a few people to help is not a bad thing either. yes, having air tools will help tremendously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im looking to do a klze swap in my 94 6. its the 2.5. i am looking for a list of everything i will need in order to swap, from the motor to ecu. and if i will need a tranny and wiring harness. and looking for the best places to order everything needed. thanks

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
im looking to do a klze swap in my 94 6. its the 2.5. i am looking for a list of everything i will need in order to swap, from the motor to ecu. and if i will need a tranny and wiring harness. and looking for the best places to order everything needed. thanks
ZE swap requires the motor... done lol
the ZE swaps over to your current tranny, current wiring harness, current motor mounts...

Mine was a take out motor, put new one in...connect everything again, and done. Mind you i replaced my clutch, motor mounts, got an intake while i was at it...

i recommend changing the timing belt and water pump.

Under these conditions your ZE will act as a DE, but still have a bit more HP due to higher compression, higher flowing intake and heads...if you want full potential of the ZE, get a kl36 ECU with a je50 VAF (from any mx3 v6) and have fun....
or buy MSD switches to control VRIS, get an FPR to up the fuel pressure....
or get megasquirt and tune it all yourself with your best friend "wideband"

Hope this helped...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
you could also pm probinator. he sells a modified aspec ecu that runs ZE to its potential. i think it is somewhere around $150 for it and then around $100 back if you send your old ecu for him to use. Don't quote me on pricing though.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
you could also pm probinator. he sells a modified aspec ecu that runs ZE to its potential. i think it is somewhere around $150 for it and then around $100 back if you send your old ecu for him to use. Don't quote me on pricing though.
onyl if you already have OBDI harness..if you are OBDII it wont work

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking into the swap, but need help finding one. I tried eBay. I wanted one that was new but the dice arn't so lucky. Anyone know of one for sale brand new I can toss in? And wouldn't it just be a uninstall the other one and reinstall the new one minus a few other altercations?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'm looking into the swap, but need help finding one. I tried eBay. I wanted one that was new but the dice arn't so lucky. Anyone know of one for sale brand new I can toss in? And wouldn't it just be a uninstall the other one and reinstall the new one minus a few other altercations?
its a direct swap providing you get a true ZE. My newest ZE had a curved neck and KL01 cams...so i had to swap my manifold, and kl31 cams over. Changed the gaskets while i was at it (i suggest it).

You wont get a ZE for brand new unless custom built. The motor is old now. You get them from online shopping for around 800-1000 CAD and they come with an ASSUMED 35-50 thousand miles on them. so what... 55000-90000 kms?? that's much better than what you could hope for on a klde motor rebuild, which costs more and has less power in the end.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just swapped my motor. Changed water pump, spark plugs, wires, timing belt and tensoners. If you look at my sig; that's everything else i did during the swap.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
21 - 40 of 70 Posts