Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everybody. My name's Miller, I'm a long time Protege FS-DE and -DET tuner, but I've never fooled with the KL engines.

Long story short, I am sick of this crappy little four cylinder engine and ready to move on up. I found a 93 MX-6 v6 in the local junkyard, sitting right next to a 95 MX-3 v6, so I figure between the two cars I will have all I need to do the swap into my car, but I can't find anyone who has done this particular swap to talk to, so if anyone has any leads in that direction it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
841 Posts
hey guys! i was all ready today to try and fire up the ZE. so i did. its cranking but not fireing whatsoever. i can smeel a slight sent of fuel in the bay so i know its getting that. i was the only one outside so i couldnt check the spark myself but im almost certain that is it. now in regards to moving the distributer. which was would i move it. its basically right in the center.

then i have a few things i dont have hooked up that i couldnt figure out. i have some pics.
see the conector? this is on the back side of the engine looking up from under the car. i really cant find what it goes to. it has a section right in the center where it looks like a prong would be inserted.

closer up pic

then this jumple of wires by the airconditioner and one from the harness that goes across the forn of the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
The plug in the back is for the EGR I believe. Did you swap the distributors? One thing I did before I swapped them was mark the location on the valve cover/block of the one shipped with the motor. That way when I swapped it with the Aspec it was idiot proof. No adjustments were needed. I'm going to take a look at the front harness in my car and get back to you with the rest.

There were 3 plugs at the end of the front harness. 2 go to the alternator and 1 goes to just above where the oil filter is.

·
Registered
841 Posts
im not so sure it is for the EGR. there is no way it would reach and it is not the right size on the ouside or inside. the EGR is not hooked up what so ever i didnt even bother to fiure out a line for it yet. thats next after the engine starts. but this engine i baught localy and it ran perfict and i saw it run with this distributer. so i know its good. i think it just needs some adjustment. i figured one of those wires went to the alternator but i didnt know how or where.

i have to say david you are one swell guy! your always the first one to step up. and to someone who asked so many questions as i do. haha thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
If that part of the harness with 3 connectors is looping from the back harness and hanging by the AC is looks like it's the temp sensors located at the top of the Engine by the coolant cap.

Back to the plug at the rear of the engine. As I said it does look like an egr plug. Take a look at the back of the engine:

·
Registered
841 Posts
only 1 black wire is comming form the harness. the other 2-3 are white and come from the AC.

ill have to double check on the EGR then

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im in the process of helping swap my friends klze in his mx6....we have the cruved neck klze and there is a metal pipe just under the metal coolant pipe on the passengerside of the block.....my question is where is coming from and what does it need to hook up to?
TIA

·
Registered
280 Posts
Are you talking about the dipstick?

·
Registered
7 Posts
lol no its actually on the drivers side( i was really sick and tired literally when i wrote that....it goes back to a spilt v all i did was run a line from it and "T" it back into it self...there didnt seem to be any real use for it (meaning it didnt connect to anything)

61 - 70 of 70 Posts