Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is now really slammed...to the point where my old exhaust (a huge can that i got for free) was dragging the ground (well, maybe 1/4" above the ground) so i cut it off with my super-sawzall....weeeeelllll i hadnt anticipated on it being THIS loud...it is so obnoxiously loud that it almost sounds mean...but its just a straight pipe off of the header right now, and i need a quick way to quiet it down just a little bit, so i dont get pulled over when i drive to work tomorrow morning...im going this weekend to have some kind of muffler welded on it, but i need a quick fix!

and when i say a 'huge can' i mean a 5" tipped muffler that was WAAAY too big for the hatch to begin with, and hung lower than any other part of the car (obviously, i had to cut the mf'er off)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
One cheap and easy way to reduce the noise is to restrict the exhaust - old mufflers used to be of this type. Basically, put a cap with a hole on it, and mount that over the end. The more restrictive, the quieter it can be, but it will sap your power. Still, it's a quick, cheap solution...

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is duct tape safe to wrap around my exhaust tip? its cut at an angle, so this would be easy as cake to do...im just not sure on if it would catch fire eventually or not

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn...how about a suggestion for a plug? it seriously sounds like im running an amplified open header...it hurts my ears from inside the car, i feel sorry for those people outside when i ride by...but it sounds mean as fuck, not raspy or like i have a fart can...just mean (and illegal) :lol:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Steel wool is a good trick if you have somewhere to push it up into. Apparently works quite well. Just use a hook to remove it when you are done.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
just drive with the tail pipe underwater at all times. That will quiet'n it down a bit.

Or just get Some really long high=temp flexible piping, and drag it around until you get the muffler. The longer, the quieter. and maybe if you go fast enough, it will dangle in the wind and not scrape.

j/k.... ;)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and maybe if you go fast enough, it will dangle in the wind and not scrape.
my car will look like it has a huge wang dangling behind it, lol

i was coming home from work early this morning (with my loud exhaust) and a cop comes flying up on my ass...i just knew he was gonna pull me over, but alas, he just followed me for a few blocks and turned around...i was also shifting below 2k rpm to keep it quiet in town, lol

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
...or instead of dragging the high temp flex pipe, you could use high temp tape to route it up over the trunklid, up the rear roof support, over the passenger's side door (don't route it to block off the doors), down and across the hood, then back up the driver's side ,and off the rear trunk lid.

Heck, if you wanted, you could leave last few feet attached to some sort of rod, and you could point your exhaust at people you don't like. You could maybe put a duck call or whistle at the tip...or some other air powered noise maker.

....I must be getting sleepy or something...cause picturing that sounds funny as hell. I hope someone doesn't read this and actually do it. LOL...

Reactions: Thomas

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
jiffy6969 said:
Heck, if you wanted, you could leave last few feet attached to some sort of rod, and you could point your exhaust at people you don't like. You could maybe put a duck call or whistle at the tip...or some other air powered noise maker.

....I must be getting sleepy or something...cause picturing that sounds funny as hell. I hope someone doesn't read this and actually do it. LOL...
I'm doing it!!!! :jump:

I put a duck call on my BOV on my talon... now that was fun!!! Then I decided to take it off because I didn't know what cops would say about it, and there was a bunch in the mall parking lot, and even at low boost <4psi, it was still loud, and I woulda had to shift driving by them, so I decided to take it off right there...

it was fun!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
thats too funny :lol:

i would have left it on there for the cops to hear...and if they gave me shit about it, i would have been like

"yeah it was Eagle's Duck's Unlimited Model Talon"...then i'd rev it up *QUACK*

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
SKarpenz said:
my car will look like it has a huge wang dangling behind it, lol
you drive a civic right? umm, don't all civics look like they have a huge wang dangling behind it?

and if you do get stopped by the cops, you can tell them your situation, and they will more than likely give you 2 days or so to get it fixed...

Oh and Jason, was it a "Duck" call or a "Turkey" call that you put on your talon???????????????????

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Jason said:
I'm doing it!!!! :jump:

I put a duck call on my BOV on my talon... now that was fun!!! Then I decided to take it off because I didn't know what cops would say about it, and there was a bunch in the mall parking lot, and even at low boost <4psi, it was still loud, and I woulda had to shift driving by them, so I decided to take it off right there...

it was fun!
didn't you post a video of it? I remember that...I was laughing my arse off. That is where I got the idea...even better if you could point it at peopel like I'm talking about...LOL. Damn you'd look like a dumbass....and it would be funny.

Knowing my luck...I'd do something silly like that and wind up in jail somehow....LOL

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
timtx5 said:
Steel wool is a good trick if you have somewhere to push it up into. Apparently works quite well. Just use a hook to remove it when you are done.
Excellent suggestion - I second this motion! Add a screen that is hose-clamped to the tip and you should be able to keep it in place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts