Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... you rev your car to 7,000rpm on the freeway in neutral and then put it into Drive!!!

Drive Plate (hanging off one bolt... just!):

Torque Converter:

Drive Plate Bolts (snapped/melted inside the crank):

·
Registered
418 Posts
Do you have an explanation for this?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
ahahaha thats brilliant, i thought i did a good job on my diff...

thats not a mx6/626 though is it? wheels are there and the box is pointing the wrong way, gotta be rwd?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol nah it's not. It's my dad's AU III, 6 cyl. He said that the revs went up by itself when he was driving so he put it into neutral to stop the car from accelerating (100+km/h), then he put it back into drive to go again not thinking about what he was doing.... then after the 'big bang', he realised that he shouldn't have done that :p

·
Registered
418 Posts
It just seems pretty stupid really. Did it get stuck in neutral or something or did you just do this for kicks?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
actually it's fine to do.

I've done it on many Auto's.

The problem is it was a AU3 - hell it was ford with decent software but worse hardware. I'm not talkign the merchanicals of the box but the actually hardware - THe shit us assues make. THe lack of quality control is the problem.

I've done it on AMG's not a problem .

The AU has safety systems. Problem sounds like your Box locked up even after he lifted off, locked in drive -locked in torque converter and when it went ot neutral it did it merchnically but the hydrolics were still locked up -

AKA like doing it in a manual with droppign the clutch but at 7000rpm to an exact drive ratio of half. And the clutch is supper strong.
70% the cltuch will fry 25 % the engine will shudder and engine ,mount flex. 5% - Breakage.

It's not great doing it to a auto but if it's all good it don't mind it. It's not a problem. but when the auto is stuffed or has problems totally different.

I drove a manualised valve body but non reverse patter nT700 behind a 5L 383 stroker. - Forgot it was NOT reverse pattern and drumped it at 3400rpm into 3rd. Total bog but the stall picked up and it pulled away.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't do something like that for kicks... I had to replace drive plate and drill out the hi-tensile bolts, and helicoil two of the threads. NOT a fun job!

·
Registered
418 Posts
No offense ment DQUIk1.

I didn't realise there were atmx that could handle this type of abuse.... i suppose it makes sense after reading Rod's write up. Especially the part about shabby aussie build quality ha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts