Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having everything working (like cooling lines ) and actually being able to drive the car a bit. I have to say that this is one KICKASS mod. Last night I was hanging out in "the starbucks parking lot". Basically it's a place where we go to chill, and talk about our cars, play hacky sack, skate, and whatever else (hey, there's nothing else to do here). Anyway, one of my friends who drives a base model eclipse was talking to one of his friends (who has an 80's POS cougar). They were joking around at first, my friend called the cougar a POS, and the dude was like "yeah well at least my POS can spin tires, unlike your rice-rocket". So he did a pathetic 1 wheel brake stand for like 3 seconds. My friend was like "i can do better than that". So he hopped into his eclipse. The dude was like "watch how many parts he breaks trying to do this." My friend basically locks his e-brake and dumps it in first. All that happens is his clutch slips, it starts rolling foward a little and the tires chirped once. Pretty pathetic...

The guy said, "See I told you Japanese cars suck"

So I figured I need to save this. "Dude, lemme show you how it's done." So I hopped in my car, locked the e-brake, and dumped it in 1st from around 5k. Obviously the wheels started spinning furiously. My tach was pinned at 6k for what seemed like an eternity, the whole while I was rolling foward slowly. Then once the wheels finally started to catch. I let out the e-brake, chirped it into second, and then began turning around in the parking lot to come back with my foot to the floor. I was totally ROASTING my tires. So I pulled up, got out, and all I was saw SMOKE! It was wild. They were all looking at me in awe. "So, not bad for a rice rocket huh?"

"umm...so what do you have in there? A V6?"

"Nope, turbo 4."

"Oh..."

That just about shut him up. The look on his face was priceless!

Then I went to look at the skidmarks. I was like holy shit! These marks were about, and I shit you not, 40 feet long! Both front tires the whole way!!! If you looked at these marks you'd think a very powerful mustang with a posi-rear left them. And this was with only 7 psi of boost!. Goddamn I wish someone had videotaped that. Just from the amount of smoke I saw it must've been absolutely wild to watch!

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's awesome. Before I got new tires a few years ago I went into a parking lot and burned the old ones up pretty good. I thought I had a lot of smoke, so I can only imagine what you came up with.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to go back and take pictures of these skidmarks. It's really crazy looking :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I tried all kinds of marks when I was screwing around with the old tires, and there was one really good one where I stomped on it and just yanked the wheel all the way to the left. It left this really short dark line with the left tire, and this great long streak from the right one starting to circle the left mark. I can only imagine how much I would have left with the upgraded turbo, I was completely stock with that mark. Pisses me off I had a blowout with my last tires and couldn't do it then. Just had the new ones put on two weeks ago.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Damnit, my e-brake doesn't work. And when I do a normal burn out, it runs up to redline pretty quick, and the engine stalls - the rev limiter. I can't do a decent burn out no matter how much I try.
Congrats on getting the turbo in and running man. Stop being a bitch and crank the boost up :D

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ha ha

"Congrats on getting the turbo in and running man. Stop being a bitch and crank the boost up "

That was f'n funny! Sounds like a great mod, kudos brother.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The boost shall be cranked. Need to install extra fuel first. Otherwise I'll be posting pictures of melted pistons :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
So, what injectors/pump are you getting?

Oh yeah, something else I wondered about, does it sound different? Do you get more of the high pitched whining? I really LOVE that sound.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it sounds different. Actually, it's not as loud as the stock turbo. Makes sense because it's not spinning as fast as the stock one did.

I'm going to start by adding a rising rate FPR, which I have in a box, and monitoring fuel pressure to see if I really need a better pump. I dont plan on getting new injectors. I dont think I'll need them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hrmm, I'd be a little disappointed by less sound. But, I think the huge increase in power would make up for it :)
I don't guess any of you reading this post have a T-bird turbo sitting around do you?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Heh, @-
I actually have one. I went to get it rebuilt. They said the seal area around the turbine was bad, and they'd have to order a "cartridge" to repair it. The cartridge, whatever the funk that is supposed to be, is $416.50 - on top of the $350 for the rebuild.
I left it there. I can't afford that.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TexasMX6GT said:
Heh, @-
I actually have one. I went to get it rebuilt. They said the seal area around the turbine was bad, and they'd have to order a "cartridge" to repair it. The cartridge, whatever the funk that is supposed to be, is $416.50 - on top of the $350 for the rebuild.
I left it there. I can't afford that.
Call someone else, because that's rediculous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts