Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just chasing thoughts on those pulstar plugs advertised on this site.

Funny how they indirectly describe the use of a capacitor as
'and yes, that IS rocket science' isnt it.

My understanding is that the current going through your ignition leads to your sparkplugs is a result of the magnetic field in the Inductor (ignition coil) collapsing due to a connection being broken (points, computer firing or whatever.) lol extremely short explanantion, but yeah.

The voltage and current is directly controlled by the ignition coil being used.

I also understand that in order to make a bigger spark, or make a spark jump further, you need to INCREASE the voltage and current.

now, if the voltage and current travelling down my ignition lead is the SAME as before, then how can simply whacking a capacitor in at the end of the line make any difference?

you cant make electricity out of nothing.

All a capacitor can do is store electricity in DC, it doesnt make it 'better'

The only thing that can increase voltage is an Inductor, ie, your igntion coil.

So how do these things make any difference? I know i dont know everything about this stuff, so if im wrong please fill me in.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
There are couple of things here, basically what these Pulstar plugs are doing, is to use te capacitor to store the energy, and then release it all at once, in a shorter duration spark.

It is not changing the total number of electrons crossing the spark gap, rather it *is* changing the flux, the number of electrons per unit time. It is using a capacitor to store the spark pulse, and then re-release it all at once.

The idea is to change a longer weaker pulse into a shorter stronger pulse.

Wether it works or not, well.. someone has got to try.

Tell you what, I'll buy the pulstar plugs for my car, you pay for the dyno, then I'll post the results.

That'll end the discussion.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Or, you believe a sentra owner:

For now, I'll give you guys the numbers.

NGK G-Power 133.61 max hp 128.75 max torque
Pulstar Plugs 133.50 max hp 129.93 max torque

Dyno Pulstar Plugs! - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

ie, doodly squat.

same thing from sparkplugs.com:
Sparkplugs.com - Spark Plug 411

Summary --
Pulstars are no different than putting in a New/Fresh pair of OEM plugs.
Let's see.. $3/each vs $25/ each.. .

I'll get the $3 plugs.. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ha ha wow that is an impressive power gain lol.

u wouldnt notice that if sensing power increase was your only bodily sense.

thanx for the explanation on the capacitor shit tho mate.

but its not like a standard spark has a particularly long duration lol.

guess ill save my self a hundred dollars then

·
Registered
301 Posts
they actually tested them in import tuner a couple months back and found that they do in fact give you an increase in power. It wasn't much, like 1 or 2 horsepower but there was still an increase. They didn't really explain how it worked I don't think they just said it did. You could try searching their site. It might be on there.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
This thread was posted first lamo...

Im sure you are not used to reading high numbers (such as the time/date etc) from driving your Honda that can barely get over 50mph and makes shit all power.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
they actually tested them in import tuner a couple months back and found that they do in fact give you an increase in power. It wasn't much, like 1 or 2 horsepower but there was still an increase. They didn't really explain how it worked I don't think they just said it did. You could try searching their site. It might be on there.
An engine a few degrees cooler or warmer will post different dyno numbers...

Same thing for air temperatures, if it changed while changing plugs, there you go...

now, if the voltage and current travelling down my ignition lead is the SAME as before, then how can simply whacking a capacitor in at the end of the line make any difference?
It doesn't...

·
Registered
301 Posts
An engine a few degrees cooler or warmer will post different dyno numbers...

Same thing for air temperatures, if it changed while changing plugs, there you go...

It doesn't...
they accounted for all of that... they actually measured all the temps pre test and post test as well as ran both sets of plugs cold and at running temp.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Uh hu, and show me a dyno that will read exactly the same every single run and I'll maybe believe the pulstars make some sort of difference...

On PulStars own Dyno...No gain:
Corvette Forum - View Single Post - Gonna Dyno Tuesday With Pulstar Plugs

Lotus Elise, no gain...
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/pulstar-pulse-plugs-dyno-video-pics-56051/

And another claiming an improvement, only to be contested by...gasp...dyno inconsistency!!
Tampa, FL C6 needed for pulstar test. - Page 2 - Corvette Forum

Show me engine dyno's under IDENTICAL conditions between the CrapStars and a stock plug. You will remove all the variables induced by the driveline and the interface with the dyno, IE Gear Oil temperature of the trans/differential, temperature of the wheel bearings, temperature of the tires, ambient air temp, and variations of the tires on the dyno's rollers.... If there's a difference that is the ONLY way to accurately observe it, even then 1-2hp difference would be dubious at best.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
yeah but when you use them in conjunction with an electric supercharger and a fuel polariser.....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Uh hu, and show me a dyno that will read exactly the same every single run and I'll maybe believe the pulstars make some sort of difference...

On PulStars own Dyno...No gain:
Corvette Forum - View Single Post - Gonna Dyno Tuesday With Pulstar Plugs

Lotus Elise, no gain...
Pulstar Pulse Plugs Dyno video/pics - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

And another claiming an improvement, only to be contested by...gasp...dyno inconsistency!!
Tampa, FL C6 needed for pulstar test. - Page 2 - Corvette Forum

Show me engine dyno's under IDENTICAL conditions between the CrapStars and a stock plug. You will remove all the variables induced by the driveline and the interface with the dyno, IE Gear Oil temperature of the trans/differential, temperature of the wheel bearings, temperature of the tires, ambient air temp, and variations of the tires on the dyno's rollers.... If there's a difference that is the ONLY way to accurately observe it, even then 1-2hp difference would be dubious at best.
jesus... are you off the rag yet? I was just trying to help the guy out. The fact that you're being this anal about it is kind of ridiculous. It's not like I said "OMG BUY them they are the most important idea for the automotive industry since the internal combustion engine" you are just being kind of a cunt.

Long story short there are credible sources that say they DO give you SOME power increase and apparently there are also credible sources that say that you don't get anything out of them.. Long story short it's up to you and what/who you believe.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
While I agree that he is being anal, it doesnt stop him from being right.

They will not give you anything except a hole in your wallet. Maybe a sore head from being slapped by a mate who knows better once they find out what you wasted your money on.

1-2hp really is jack shit, that can come down to all those factors that were mentioned. Even if it was true(which it isnt), who would spend 5times more on a maintainance (ie, you will need to do it often) item to get 1hp. Nobody will argue that spending $300 on a catback exhaust wont do anything, because it actually does.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
jesus... are you off the rag yet? I was just trying to help the guy out. The fact that you're being this anal about it is kind of ridiculous. It's not like I said "OMG BUY them they are the most important idea for the automotive industry since the internal combustion engine" you are just being kind of a [mangina].
8D :lol:

Yes, I'm off the rag, but the GF isn't...so we're all still very pissy... :lol:

Long story short there are credible sources that say they DO give you SOME power increase and apparently there are also credible sources that say that you don't get anything out of them.. Long story short it's up to you and what/who you believe.
Correct, and without all the proper information to properly analyze the situation, what one believes may be colored by the presence or lack of information. I was simply shedding light on some more analytical data as opposed to referencing an article which you didn't link to, and simply saying said article accounted for the all the possible variables. You posted 3rd hand knowledge, I was simply referencing the first hand accounts of the tests.

Furthermore, my request for specific testing is anal. It has to be. Any proper scientific test searching for a specific result MUST remove any variable which may alter the final data.

I.E. You can't expect to figure out what 1+1 equals, if it looks like this : 1+(54y/((47x)(2b))-(3A)))1= ???? Where every variable is a complete unknown.....

Ne ways, back off the rag :)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
1-2hp really is jack [shizzle],

Bascially, you can fart into your intake and get more than 1 hp different into your car.

Hell, I've had a 5 hp fart.

And that's as anal as I can get.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Somebody siggy that!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts