Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trading my 6 in for a 95 Nissan 300ZX 5 speed. It's a non-turbo, has new tires, full exhaust, intake system, new clutch etc.. 135,000 miles on it, and they want 6500. Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
6500 for an NA? is it a 2 seater? does it have t-tops? hows the body? any accidents? salvage title? tranny ok? all that stuff makes a huge diff on price. also where is the car located from you? any rust? hows the interior? I got my 87 2+2 5 speed NA for 500$ running and driving, and im about to get a 93 NA 5speed 2 seater with a bad motor for 1k, also bout to buy 2 85 300zxs for 300$ a piece, 1 turbo with bad tranny, one NA with some minor body dmg.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
i dunno about the NA versions, but the ones ive looked at, the engine bay is packed out to the max. not easy to find room for any modification. they are very nice cars, id just be worried about maintenance and just the complexity of them

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Senko : It is about 30 mins from my house, it's a 2 seater, no t-tops, perfect body, no rust, black leather interior which is perfect, no accidents.

KC & 91: Thanks for the input, karma for you both.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I actually was looking for a z before I purchased my second 2g. They are a bit pricey and I have heard that they're a bitch todo any work on which means you'll be paying out the ass or spending tons of your own time doing it. I have always liked the way they look though and you don't see many of them around. 6500 seems like alot for a car that has 130k on it.

metros

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
maintenance will be an issue, it has a lot of miles on it.

And yes, they are crammed....but man oh man are they ever sexy.

i'd trade my 6 in for a 300zx in good condition any day.

David

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
if i could afford a 300zx to replace the 6 id probably go with a skyline :shrug: just more room to expand i guess. i think the 300zx is way better looking though and apart from space issues under the hood, you can get huge hp out of 300zx's

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
91turbo666 said:
if i could afford a 300zx to replace the 6 id probably go with a skyline :shrug: just more room to expand i guess. i think the 300zx is way better looking though and apart from space issues under the hood, you can get huge hp out of 300zx's
so you are you saying you can get a skyline for the same price you can get a 300zx?? i don't freaking think so

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
my buddy has a 90 300ZXTT and it's nice and all but its been through 3 motors and 2 sets of upgrade turbos. ill bet that the n/a versions are almost as much of a pain in the ass since they probably have those individual coils for each sparkplug as well(i heard they are problem), if you got the money for the upkeep thats likely to come then go for it..i bet insurance will hike up some since its a 2 seater sports car

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I wouldnt waste the money on a 300zx Na, if I was you. Your basicaly buying a similar performing, heavier car with alot of miles for a not so reasonable price. *edit* I just realized you have a 4cylinder, so it is in fact a better performing car, but im sure you could find plenty better performing cars for that price range, 2g mx6 LS, 4th Gen(92-96) prelude Si or Vtec, for lower prices. Also if snow is an issue I wouldnt be too fond on the idea of RWD on ice :shrug:
Nissan 300ZX 2+2 (0-60)7.5 (1/4)15.9

*edit* Horsepower 220
Curb Weight: 3413 lbs.

this is from edmunds, the other site was bogus.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ok, In my honest opinion, if you wanna upgrade from the 6 to a Z, get a 87 - 89 Turbo, will only cost ya about 3gs in great shape, easy to work on (compared to a z32) handle great, strong engine, can take mods really well, and cheap to maintain. just my 2 cents, and 130k on an NA for 6500 is way too much, Im getting a 93 2 seater NA with a bad motor, + a 30k mile NA motor for 1100, I just gotta put them together.

·
Registered
891 Posts
kc 93'ls said:
I like those cars. People will say buy the turbo model but there wrong :D

Any 300zx turbo will have beat down engine and cost a crap load to maintain.. just my 2 cents
yea, hes right. My friend who has this car says its crap to cause the engine messes up real quick.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think the 300zx is still great. I was thinking to get a base model & swap the TT engine in it. It is faster than the 350z. I remember it is around 282 but if you say 300zx has no room to play, you should check them out & comment. There are some at least 500HP 300zx on the road, I also read a magazine that there is one at 630hp.

Just remind you guys, the 330zx TT is call "Fairlady Z". It is not a cheap ride at all. You can not compare it with a Honda or the 6. Just like the TT RX7, it is not a cheap ride that you can expect low maintaince cost. Just like all super sport rides like Covertte, Supra, they all require much more money & time to keep it nice. If you think you can buy some cheap ass turbo to make it quick, Please don't waste your time & the Z.

As for the Skyline vs 300ZX comment, please check out what kind of cars you are talking about.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Friend of mine has a 300zx TT. He reckons its not as bad to work on as a lot of transverse four wheel drives e.g. gtir pulsar (after working on both).

His was an auto, he recently did a manual conversion, which once again he thinks wasnt that bad. At the same time he also changed the turbo to ball bearing 'hi flows' (larger wheels, standard bored out housings with a new ball bearing core), light weight flywheel, larger standard position intercoolers, twin 2.5" exhausts, good radiator and a few other things.

Ran [email protected] first time out (he cant drive a manual, but 110mph is fairly hauling) on 10psi. Soon hes planning to up it to about 18psi when he gets new injectors and a retune. Its not slow by any means!

He has had overheating issues anyway.

Z31 and z32 and completely different cars IMO.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts