Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am making this post since I can't seem to find any useful info on this for the 2.0l inline 4. Was just heading for a night trip to my local maccie d's when I heard a ticking from the engine bay halfway there. I stopped to see if I could identify the issue. What I could gather it's from the timing belt area since the ticking also speeds up as I speed up and dissappear when I reach highway speeds (90kmh). I recently got the car and from what the past owner told me was that it was in due time for a timing belt replacement so I got one laying around just waiting for a day with spare time to do it. Think that will help? Or could it be something else?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I don't know much about the I4 engine.

Does the speed of the ticking noise vary with engine rpm, or with wheel kmh? (What happens when you rev the engine in neutral, or change down a gear keeping kmh constant by increasing rpm?) If it's rpm-related it's something to do with the engine; if kmh-related it's something to do with the wheels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know much about the I4 engine.

Does the speed of the ticking noise vary with engine rpm, or with wheel kmh? (What happens when you rev the engine in neutral, or change down a gear keeping kmh constant by increasing rpm?) If it's rpm-related it's something to do with the engine; if kmh-related it's something to do with the wheels.
Did a check today in daylight and from what I can gather it doesn't seem to be affected by the rpm but it also sounds like it could be the polley on the water pump. However the noise wasn't nearly as agressive as it was last night. Oil problems maybe? I was planning on doing a oil change this weekend maybe that will help it.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
If the noise doesn't change with engine rpm, and especially if it only makes the noise when the car is moving (not revving the engine in neutral when the car is stationary), then it has nothing to do with the engine (or water pump pulley, or engine oil, etc.). It must be something to do with the wheels, or brakes, or axles, or maybe transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the noise doesn't change with engine rpm, and especially if it only makes the noise when the car is moving (not revving the engine in neutral when the car is stationary), then it has nothing to do with the engine (or water pump pulley, or engine oil, etc.). It must be something to do with the wheels, or brakes, or axles, or maybe transmission.
Interesting, I'm doing a few things to test what I've been able to gather if that doesn't work I will look at the transmission. If all else fail I might take it in to a mechanic and get their 2 cent on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the culprit from what I know so far. The tensioner spring on the timing belt was completely off making the timing belt slack therefore hitting on the top of the cover.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Glad you found it. It almost seems that would make way more noise that just a ticking noise. How did the car run ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you found it. It almost seems that would make way more noise that just a ticking noise. How did the car run ?
Too my knowledge I didn't notice it running any different. Especially when the ticking started. I didn't feel anything different but I just heard a really loud ticking when I was driving so I turned down my music then pulled to the side to verify it. Which is why I never thought it was anything with the actual engine components such as the rods. If the spark plugs and oil tells me anything the engine is in really good condition.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The reason I ask is one time, the bolts came loose on the hydraulic tensioner in my engine, and the timing belt came off. The threads to attach the bolts failed......likely too much stress on them. The timing belt would not stay on. Only solution to try was drill out the bolt holes and put in an insert. It did work, but unfortunately, I didn't get the drill holes perfectly straight, so there was a slight angle to the tensioner pulley. The timing belt would only stay on a short time. End result was a junked engine. Fortunately if only the hydraulic part of the tensioner fails, it doesn't cause a catastrophic problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I ask is one time, the bolts came loose on the hydraulic tensioner in my engine, and the timing belt came off. The threads to attach the bolts failed......likely too much stress on them. The timing belt would not stay on. Only solution to try was drill out the bolt holes and put in an insert. It did work, but unfortunately, I didn't get the drill holes perfectly straight, so there was a slight angle to the tensioner pulley. The timing belt would only stay on a short time. End result was a junked engine. Fortunately if only the hydraulic part of the tensioner fails, it doesn't cause a catastrophic problem.
Luckily I don't have hydraulic tensioners. Only thing putting tension on my timing belt is the spring which is kinda worrying but has worked up to this point so hey why convert it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to update you all wo may find this in the future. I had no issues with the engine and it's running like brand new after I did general service. So check your timing belt and do a oil change is my recommendation! Also changing spark plugs can help :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts