Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes have a loud ticking sound when I start my car cold. It happens maybe 1 in every 50 cold starts - it's not common. It never does it when the engine's warm. It seems to happen more when the weather is colder or the car has been parked for a day or two. Sometimes it is only for a few seconds, sometimes for about 30 seconds.

I started it today and while it was making the sound I pulled plug wires to try and isolate a cylinder - if it is a bad conrod bearing maybe it would be louder if the cylinder was firing rather than when it wasn't getting a spark. It didn't seem to make any differnce. I opened the oil cap to see if it would be louder - maybe valve clatter, no difference.

The oil light is off while it is making the sound and I have always changed my oil on time and with good stuff. It has never been run dry or overheated.

When I change my oil and start the car, it takes a few seconds longer than normal to build oil pressure as the pump fills the filter and pumps oil through the dry system. For these few seconds there is a noticeable valve clatter and some other engine noise until the light goes off and the oil system has pressure. This is relatively normal. But it never makes the ticking sound after the oil has been changed - suggesting that it's not a bad bearing since it isn't making the sound while there is no oil pressure. When I started it after 5 months of storage, it also didn't make any noises.

I have periodically opened my oil filter to see inside and there is only a normal amount of material inside it - also suggesting no bearing problems.

I have given it a full throttle run upto redline a few times and there was no unusual noise. Normally you can hear extra knocking if there is a worn bearing when the engine has high revs and lots of load under it.

I have 240,000 km's (150,000 miles) and most are highway. It has not been driven hard. Could it be a sticky injector? Any ideas?

·
Registered
248 Posts
it is your hla's in the head .

do not worry at all just dont drive until you have full oil pressure and you will be fine

·
Registered
43 Posts
classic F2 & F2T sounds

join the club!!! HLA's due to undersize oil passages (not a big deal) So when deposits or whatever else gets in there you will hear then chatter... And another classic sound on cold startup is the exhaust manifold not as sealed as us MX-6 / Probe drivers would like.. On cold startup the gaskets are smaller than when they expand when comming up to temp. This is why THAT kind of ticking goes away. The HLA's well I can hear them on my car at light load just above 1 grand. And I'm as anal as they come when it comes to maintainance!!
FYI: It you want to replace your HLA's Ford / Mazda has different HLA's to sell. Just look for the thred on this forum
;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am guessing HLA = hydralic lifter assembly. I was hoping it wasn't bearings. I bought a Subaru Justy that had been stolen and run out of oil. When I bought it, it ran fine up to about 3000 RPM when there was a loud knocking sound. The oil in the engine was about 50 weight. If the engine was under load it would get really loud. When I rebuilt the engine, the crank and con rod bearings were worn to nothing. The guy at the machine shop lauged at the crank - he said it was worn about 70 thou' and could not be re-ground.

This sound in my Mazda is definitely different - higher pitched and not related to the load on the engine so your explanation makes sense. Is this a big deal? My engine is spotless inside, it looks like a brand new engine - is it likely due to deposits? Maybe I should use some engine detergent to clean it out? Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine does the same thing.... and loves to leak a quart of oil every 500 miles and you know when it is low because the ticking gets loud

I don't think that the HLA's are a problem as long as they are still working and I am assuming that the ticking is a sign that they are working.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Completely normal during cold temperatures. It is your HLA's filling up with oil. As long as it goes away after driving for a bit you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts