Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ticking sound from brakes?????
Either at a stop or when the car is slowly moving, there is a ticking/clicking sound coming from the right front wheel. It sounds like the brakes. It's not the axle/cv joint. I had that checked out. Has anyone experienced this problem?

By the way, I decided to go with Yokohama Avid V4 for my tires. They look great on the the car as well as handle as well. They are MUCH quieter than the stock Bridgestones. Even though they are the same size as the stock Bridgestones, 205/55/15, they fit the rim better and look a bit larger.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
i was maybe going to suggest a rock in the tire. god i hate that when it happens. :) but i dont know about the brakes.

about your new tires, my car actually has a loud hum to it now since i got my new rims and tires. weird how you say you ride is quieter now....hmmm....maybe its my ball bearings,,,,

solar

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm sure ur missing a clip kinda thing that is hung to the brake pads. I'm missing one on my rear left pad and I get these ticking sounds once in a while. If you can take the wheel off and compare it with the any other wheel, you'll know what I'm talking about. It is found behind the brake pad. The ticking gets louder sometimes. I was told by a mechanic that these things keep the pad without any loose play. And the ticking sound comes from the loose play. hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you thought that maybe that clicking sound could be from the HLA's I am experiencing the same problem myself. The best thing to try is to park the car running and press the gas pedal slighly. If there is a ticking sound, then it is the HLA's (I am not sure what the full name is but they deal with the correct timing that the spark plug fires)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Correction on the HLA's. I've just learned that they are springs (also called lifters) on your engine valves. Sorry about the confussion. They still might explain that ticking though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, if you hear the ticking sound while the car is stopped, it definitely is NOT the brakes. How could the brakes make a ticking sound when the is nothing moving in that part of the car? Or did I misinterpret your message? If you have a 6 cylinder, it may be the HLA's or the friction gear. When is the last time you did an oil change and what oil do you use??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The noise is not coming from the engine. It is coming from the front right brake area. I hear the clicking when the car is stopped and the wheel is turning as well as when the car is moving slowly and turning. Sounds like the axle/cv joint but it checks out fine. I'm going for a second opinion on this though. If it is the cv joint, then I want it fixed right away!

I understand the logic of the brakes would have to be moving to make the noise but trust me, it sounds like it is emitting from the brake or suspension attached to the brake.

Thanks for the responses so far: )

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you mean that the clicking comes when stop or moving slowly, then it is most likely that you are missing or need to adjust/replace your Anti-rattle clips that keep you brake pads in place within the caliper.

G'luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did more research on this last night and remembered something. My car used to do this as well. It sounds like a very faint ticking/creaking sound only at stop or slow motion when the steering wheel is turned. It turned out to be I had to have my thrust bearing repacked with grease. Look at this site for a description:
http://www.rs-productions.com/RSP_Motors/tech/susp-sense/bearingplate.htm

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
saint

do u mean that the creaking was heard while you were slowing down or when you were completely stopped? i get the creaking when i slow down so could this still be related? i hear my creaking in the left front brake (drivers side) and its really annoying... tia

·
Registered
41 Posts
I could hear the creaking sound under the following conditions, either when I was stopped or going at a slow speed (under 5 mph), but ONLY when I turned the steering wheel. I am sure that the noise was at all speeds, but engine/road noise probably masked the noise. If the steering wheel was not turned the noise could not be heard. The noise could be heard at these speeds either slowing down or speeding up, but only when turning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
nickolaika said:
When I drive slowly and press on the brakes gently, I hear a creaking sound. Is it related to your problem or my break pads are gettng thin?
:(
This sounds to me like more of a brake problem then a steering problem. I would have to say either your rotors need to be turned, your brake pads need to be replaced, or both. You might also want to check and see if there is anything caught between your pad and your rotor. The creaking sound I was referring to would only occur when you turn the sterering wheel, it didn't matter if you were braking or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts